Question for the Apple Elite: Anyone Use Data Rescue II?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lPHONE, Dec 13, 2009.

1. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

So I've got this wack program Data Rescue II and I did a Quick Scan on a hard drive in an external FW enclosure on my PM G5 and it was a success or whatever, but then it wanted to take like 10 hours or some crap to recover the data but I need my resources for audio production.

So I bust to my iMac G5 plug it into a USB enclosure, do a quick Scan and I get NOTHING. I got scared and thought the drive crashed, but I go back to the tower and quick scan works again.

What's up with that? Is it the USB enclosure or the iMac that DR2 hates?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"So I've got this wack program Data Rescue II and I did a Quick Scan on a hard drive in an external FW enclosure on my PM G5 and it was a success or whatever, but then it wanted to take like 10 hours or some crap to recover the data but I need my resources for audio production."

Data Rescue is hardly a "wack" program. It does what it does better than almost anything else out there. It will get data back when NOTHING else works. I've used it myself.

Yes, it WILL take a LONG time to scavenge and recover data from a corrupted drive. This is how it works, plain and simple

If you're not willing to give DR the time it needs to do the job, the job ain't gonna get done.

By the way, you really need THREE (count 'em) drives to get DR to do it's job properly:
    1. The drive you're booting from that has your system and DR on it.
    2. The corrupted drive you're trying to get data OFF OF. You can't "recover to" the bad drive.
    3. A "scratch" drive which can receive the rescued data.

"What's up with that? Is it the USB enclosure or the iMac that DR2 hates?"

Use "what works for you", and don't fuss over other connection schemes that don't.

- John

3. lPHONE thread starter macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

it ain't me, it's the drives... I've had 2 die on a DR2 scan.

By the way, you really need THREE (count 'em) drives to get DR to do it's job properly:
    1. The drive you're booting from that has your system and DR on it.
    2. The corrupted drive you're trying to get data OFF OF. You can't "recover to" the bad drive.
    3. A "scratch" drive which can receive the rescued data.[/quote]check
    dude, i was just asking why it didn't find any files on my iMac. :confused: That kind of schizophrenic behavior makes me question what possible recoveries I might have wrote off and all that could have been...