Question for the Experts on a Wifi / 3G issue...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tobasco27, Dec 18, 2010.

1. tobasco27 macrumors member

Greetings -

A newbie on this forum. After years of being forced (either by wife, company, whatever) to work on a PC for what seems hundreds of years, I am now fully devoted to Apple and truly believe that Apple has got it right - from the Mac computers to the iPhone, iPad, etc.

Here's my question:

I purchased an iPad last June - a 64GB wifi version (which I had to convince my wife to buy and now I can't get it away from her). The obvious downside to the wifi version is that I have to be in a hotspot to access the internet.

Now my company decided to give all the field reps a 3G iPad. I'm currently using a 3G card inserted in my Dell laptop. I'd like to have the access available 24/7 on my laptop - so here's my issue:

Should I just get a new plan for the 3G within the iPad or should I convert the 3G card in my laptop for a MyFi type hotspot card from Verizon? I'm leaning toward the MyFi option since it will give me access from any unit that needs wifi (right?). But I'm also hearing that Verizon may come out with a 4G version sometime soon too.

Should I wait for the 4G Myfi version or just get the 3G version now?

Any insight and help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. tobasco27 thread starter macrumors member

sorry - just wanted to subscribe to this thread

3. tobasco27 thread starter macrumors member

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I'm not totally clear on what you are asking - but it sounds like you currently have a 3g card in your laptop, the IT dept. is now offering you a 3g iPad, but you still want to maintain connectivity to the laptop, correct? In that case, the mifi is the way to go. I would not worry about 4g for now, unless your primary use will be in an area where you know you'll have 4g coverage. The main down-side to a mifi is limited battery life - but otherwise it's a great little device.

5. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The other problem with 4G at the moment is that there are precious few areas in the country that has it. If you set up a data plan to use it and it isn't available in your area then you still pay the 4G premium. So your paying for something that you can't use.