Question for the Web Devs: Transmit / Coda?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kepardue, Jan 16, 2011.

1. kepardue macrumors 6502

Is it worth getting Transmit as a standalone application, or best to put that money into the Coda IDE?

I see that there's a 2.0 Coda version currently in the works, but I'd doubt that this would be a free upgrade from the 1.7 on the Mac App Store.

Mainly I do PHP development, but branching out into some SproutCore and work with Ruby.

2. snouter macrumors 6502a

Coda is very reasonably priced and I'm sure the upgrade fee will be reasonable.

I like Transmit, but there are free FTP clients out there - FireFTP or CyberDuck.

3. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Both :). I use/have both and recommend anything by Panic; they're a brilliant group of devs over there.

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I had Transmit 3 with a bundle with Coda; although I'd prefer to use Coda alone I still find myself using Transmit for straightforward ftp work because of the two-panel interface ("Your Stuff/Their Stuff"). If Coda could switch to that type of interface I'd drop Transmit.

Try Cyberduck also - but I've found some releases to be buggy and have now stayed with Transmit.

5. AndyfromTucson macrumors member

I use the open source MacFusion to mount SFTP and FTP volumes directly to my Mac's filesystem and then edit PHP files directly on the development server. That way I just hit Cmd-S in my editor and my changes are ready to test.

I run a rsync script at the end of every coding session to make a local backup of the current and prior version of each PHP file, so even if I goof something up by editing directly on the development server it is just a few clicks to get back to where I was before.

6. kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

MacFusion sounds really neat. Been looking for something like that for a while, not sure how I missed it.

But I'm also looking for an IDE as well to replace my aging Komodo Edit. They've released a new version of Komodo, but I'm frustrated enough with what I have (very slow, buggy, frequently forgets my sites and FTP servers, etc.) that I wouldn't mind trying something new... especially if it's well suited to SproutCore, which is where I'd really like to take my development.

Coda just seems a bit aged (no code folding? only SVN with no Git support? really?), and it seems as though a 2.0 version has been in the works for quite some time. Mainly I was just wondering if the built in FTP capabilities of Coda would (or will continue to be in 2.0) be a good general purpose FTP client specifically for my code. I use Cyberduck now, but the workflow seems like it slows me down more than anything. I like the idea of working locally but having a one click publish to FTP.

Now that the Mac App Store is out with its ability to automatically sync programs across Macs I own, I'm shamelessly looking to get my company to pay for a new one for the office, which will also allow me to use it at home. :-/ I'm awful, arent I?

7. Mic360 macrumors newbie

8. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Agreed.

9. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

1) Are you happy with your current web development tools? If not, and you have $99 to spend, buy Coda.

2) Are you happy with your current text editor or other tools, and just want a good FTP client? If so, buy Transmit.

I used CyberDuck for years before I bought transmit. CyberDuck is OK, but it can be very slow at times, especially when transferring lots of slow files. Transmit does this a lot better.

If you want a good free text editor, I recommend Smultron. It's no longer developed, but there was one 'final version' that supports Snow Leopard.

10. AndyfromTucson macrumors member

Actually Peter Borg revived Smultron and is now selling it as a paid app in the Mac App Store.

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As someone who does web dev I purely use Cyberduck and MacVim. Both are free. I used to use BBEdit but it was far too bloated and slow and then I came across MacVim which solved all my problems.