Question for those 3G users in Chicago

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DiamondMac, Jul 27, 2008.

1. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

How is service around the city? I am moving to downtown Chicago in a few weeks and was curious how the service is for the area

Happy with 3G speeds? Slow 3G speeds?

2. ValientHimself macrumors member

I just moved to downtown Chicago a few months ago, I haven't been able to pick up one of the new iPhones yet though. The lines have still been pretty ridiculous.

Hopefully I'll be able to grab one next week, so I will know the speed after that!

3. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

I usually get full 3G reception when I'm in the city, although there are few weaker spots when walking near skyscrapers and narrow alleys.

4. ktemkin macrumors newbie

5. wowok1234 macrumors newbie

Both speed and reception are pretty good, but it depends on where you are and the time of the day. I've gotten speeds as high as 924 kbps and as low as 226, but as of recently they hover around 700-800.

6. chinl macrumors member

I've only had AT&T since Friday so I can't say a lot, but so far my experience is good. I've had decent coverage everywhere in the South-Loop, West-Loop, and University Village. In my ground level old brick apartment I get 1-3 bars, in my office on the 9th floor I get full bars.

I haven't done a speed test yet, but it seems pretty good -- it wasn't too bad browsing the transit information last night, and that is pdf and graphic heavy.

Be warned that many people will say "Chicago" when in fact they mean some suburb 40 miles out.

7. pcorrado macrumors 6502

I actually live about 1 mile from the west side in a tiny burb, but I work and go to school in the loop - in the loop I usually get about 4-5 bars of 3G, it remains consistent till I get to the block i live on where 3G just disappears. This is fairly common from what I have seen of the suburbs and some parts of the city (in the north Rogers Park area). It goes from great coverage to no 3G and great edge coverage...it is very rare that I find the edge coverage to be bad...so if you are traveling outside the loop then at least you will get something.

Speeds are noting compared to what some people are reporting on here - using the inetwork.app I get like 40 or kb/s sometimes more today I got 65kb/s and just now i was able to get 129 - using the web based test from inetwork I usually get around 400-500 kb/s and once I got like 660 or so...this is all in the loop with on average 4 bars of 3G.

In terms of the northern burbs, Skokie and Evanston - coverage with 3G is about the same as the loop and speeds consistent, however, the residential areas see a significant drop in signal indoors - so I assume those areas are on the very cusp of 3G coverage

8. chinl macrumors member

To amend my previous post, I just did a speed test and got ~400kbps with 1 bar on 3G.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm in the northwest suburbs and 3G is spotty, even though my city has had 3G for 2 years now, it was one of the first in IL.

10. DiamondMac thread starter macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Appreciate the responses

I am still a little unsure where North-South sides are in terms of where I am living as I am brand new to Chicago :eek:

My apartment is 3 blocks away from the corner of E. Ohio Street and N. Michigan Street so whatever side that puts me on, I hope that is the good one :D

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

When you live in Chicago you'll get used to it. I'm in the Northwest Suburbs, which is Elgin / Schaumburg.

The south side is more of the ghetto than the others.

You'll catch on when you move here though :)

12. chinl macrumors member

You're in Streeterville or River North, which would be considered the near north side. I'm sure you will have good coverage there.

It takes a while to learn where all the neighborhoods are. This is probably the best map I've seen so far, http://search.realtyproducer.com/core/maps/chicago-neighborhoods-map.jpg

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Downtown Chicago at night, like the center of the city (say Chinatown) is pretty awesome a night. Usually when we go down there late sunday night (1 AM) and the city is dead, and everything is lit up, it's pretty amazing. Although, you always have to be careful in Chicago at night.... but just the inner inner city. I've seen some strange bums...

14. DiamondMac thread starter macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am coming from New Orleans

I promise you, I am prepared for whatever Chicago has crime wise :D

15. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Far western suburbs are spotty at best (despite what the coverage map says). I live just north of Aurora/Naperville. I have great coverage at my house (which is only a short distance from a water tower with a AT&T cell on it)...5 bars most of the time...but when I go driving it usually varies between 1-3 bars. I was traveling along a major commute route (Butterfield Road, route 56) yesterday testing out a new hands free device and my dad said my voice was breaking up. I looked at my phone and it said I had a single bar of 3G.

They still have plenty to do to improve reception out here.

When it's working 3G speeds are great....a definite improvement over Edge.

16. jake36wi41 macrumors member

Looking forward to testing out my Chicago reception next weekend at Lollapalooza! ;)