Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
So im about 8 days in and wanted to exchange my phone for multiple issues. Im on the IUP. Is the process still like 2 years ago when you go in, return the old phone, re start a new loan by entering SSN etc?

It looks like I cant do mine until next week which is in October. Doesnt this essentially put you a month back in program and you might need to make an extra payment?

I know many here have exchanged many times for issues so I was wondering how it works. Ty

kegan forbes

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
michigan
that process is the same. you can go in now and set it up they just might ask you to make a payment to get you to the point of trade in meaning if you have one more payment before upgrade you will have to do that but then you can upgrade early. I think its one its half payed off your good to upgrade. I should also mention that if your at 2 years with current phone on upgrade program that phone is yours as of next/final payment and your good to start a new one and keep the old phone

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
So im about 8 days in and wanted to exchange my phone for multiple issues. Im on the IUP. Is the process still like 2 years ago when you go in, return the old phone, re start a new loan by entering SSN etc?

It looks like I cant do mine until next week which is in October. Doesnt this essentially put you a month back in program and you might need to make an extra payment?

I know many here have exchanged many times for issues so I was wondering how it works. Ty
Return current phone cancels current loan. Redo process for new loan. Just did this.

Reactions: Remington Steel

AndrewR23

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
technically yes but as i said above you can just make the extra payment to be eligible in september next time
Idk if this makes sense, but what's the cutoff that prevents me from making that extra payment? Or has that time passed?

kegan forbes

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
michigan
from apples site. based on this once you get to the equivalent of 12 payments your good to upgrade

Why do I need to make a payment to be eligible for an upgrade?
In order to upgrade, you need to make or have made the equivalent of at least 12 payments. You can pay any remaining balance needed to meet your 12 payments at the time of upgrade.

Reactions: Remington Steel

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Return current phone cancels current loan. Redo process for new loan. Just did this.
Wondering what happens if you don’t like the new phone and returns it. Do you get the old phone back? If not, what happens to the old loan, still stay cancelled?

kegan forbes

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
michigan
Wondering what happens if you don’t like the new phone and returns it. Do you get the old phone back? If not, what happens to the old loan, still stay cancelled?
thats basically the situation I was in today. I have an xs max and ordered a pro max. I held off sending the old phone back knowing I had 2 weeks to do so and after a week with the new phone I decided to return it. I went to the local Apple store as mine said I couldn’t return online and they processed the return like a normal one and I got an email notification saying the loan was canceled and then a bit later an email from Apple saying the trade in had been canceled and that if I had shipped the phone they would send it back when they received it and that the payments would continue on the old phone.

Attachments

• D070DD60-AEE8-48D8-8250-388A45DC6B35.png
    D070DD60-AEE8-48D8-8250-388A45DC6B35.png
    967.4 KB · Views: 212

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
thats basically the situation I was in today. I have an xs max and ordered a pro max. I held off sending the old phone back knowing I had 2 weeks to do so and after a week with the new phone I decided to return it. I went to the local Apple store as mine said I couldn’t return online and they processed the return like a normal one and I got an email notification saying the loan was canceled and then a bit later an email from Apple saying the trade in had been canceled and that if I had shipped the phone they would send it back when they received it and that the payments would continue on the old phone.
Thanks. Last year when I did IUP picking up Xs Max in store the employee said I had to trade in old X Max immediately. So they took the old phone and the old loan was canceled. I am assuming that given your case, had I returned the new phone, Apple would then ship the old phone back to me and restart the old loan? This is the part that’s not clear to me. That’s why I didnt want to do IUP in store this year and chose to wait online, didn’t want to risk having to wait for the old phone to be shipped back to me. But if anyone has done this (trade in IUP old phone in store, start new IUP then return), would love to hear your experience. Thanks.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
If you are on iUP and don't like the new phone and return it, you are closing out your new loan. When you upgraded from your old phone for a new phone and you trade it back, by doing so, you also closed out the old loan, and therefore you will not get your old phone back. You will be phone less, unless you buy another one. I believe even if you return the new phone and close out the loan, they do let you keep the SIM card and still is active so you can use it on a different phone. (Well at least when I returned a phone that was activated with the SIM card it came with, they gave that to me and I think per their POS instruction to do so).

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
If you are on iUP and don't like the new phone and return it, you are closing out your new loan. When you upgraded from your old phone for a new phone and you trade it back, by doing so, you also closed out the old loan, and therefore you will not get your old phone back. You will be phone less, unless you buy another one. I believe even if you return the new phone and close out the loan, they do let you keep the SIM card and still is active so you can use it on a different phone. (Well at least when I returned a phone that was activated with the SIM card it came with, they gave that to me and I think per their POS instruction to do so).
Can confirm this is exactly how it works. I mess up during IUP and ended up without a phone. Apple doesn’t not return old phone once traded in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.