Question for those knowledgable with PS3 as well

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phillypanther14, Mar 17, 2011.

1. phillypanther14 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Currently I have two hard drives. I have the OEM 120GB HDD in my Macbook (July 2007 edition), and a 320GB HDD in my Playstation 3 (same laptop specs i.e. SATA w/ 5400 RPM, etc.). I would like to switch the hard drives so I can have more room in my Macbook and also partition it. I can use the disk utility on the PS3 to wipe out my PS3 hard drive (after I backup everything on there with a thumb drive). Couple questions, though:

-I know that the PS3 HDD is formatted as FAT32; can the Macbook reformat that to HFS+ (or whatever it is)? If not, am I screwed?
    -I have Time Machine manually backup my Macbook onto a Western Digital 500GB external hard drive (i.e. I just put it in, click "Back Up Now," and then pull it out when done). How do I get it to restore everything from Time Machine into my fresh 320GB that I'm putting in?
    -Will I be able to regain all my iTunes purchases?
    -Any other concerns that I should be worry about?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

1. Yes formatting to HFS+ no problem.
    One concern. The thickness of the drives.
    2. Cloning would be a lot easier.
    3. Yes. Your iTunes music authorization is not linked to your hard drive.
    4. You should be fine.

3. phillypanther14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. PS3 uses laptop hard drives - 2.5" SATA - so I shouldn't have a problem there.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You would be strongly advised to de-authorize your computer in iTunes before attempting such a swap, just to make sure that you don't get a new computer charged against your limit of 5, then re-authorize it once the restore is done.

5. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

I was referring to the height of the drive. Some are 7mm some 9.5mm some 11.5mm. Check the specs on your MacBook to see which it can hold. Compare with PS3 HD.

6. phillypanther14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you; didn't even think of it. Thankfully, they're both 9.5mm