Question for those of you with the SSD configuration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Walt Dizzle, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Walt Dizzle macrumors newbie

Does anyone know whether I should buy the Macbook Pro 15" w/ 128GB SSD "built to order"? For those of you who bought it, is it fast and reliable? And can I still set up a partition for Windows Vista on it as well? :apple:

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Just from reading this forum, I have heard the SSDs are cheaper and faster if you buy them separately from somewhere besides Apple, as they use older technology.

3. TheWart macrumors newbie

Yes, you can set up another partition just like a normal harddrive. I don't have an SSD but the consensus appears to be that the Apple one is slower, and since the process of replacing the harddrive is pretty easy, why not spend less and get a better/faster drive from newegg or amazon.

4. Walt Dizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks you two! I'm starting college this Fall and the college requires its students to have Windows Vista on their laptops. And since I'm ordering the MBP on South Carolina's tax-free holiday (August 7) and I'm having Vista installed on it August 15 by the tech support office at the college, I probably won't have enough time to swap drives before Vista is installed.

Is there a way of me ordering the MBP and asking them to insert an Intel SSD instead of the Toshiba ones they use? Or just not put a drive in there at all and subtract it from the total price?

5. TheWart macrumors newbie

No, I would advise just getting the base model, and order the intel drive before you even get the laptop. Swapping it out should not take you more than like 30 mins I am guessing. Also, if you do that, then you can buy a cheap 2.5" external enclosure and use the old harddrive for backup.

Also, since you are going to be dual booting, and possibly using VMWare or Parrallels, i would advise you to spend $60 or so at newegg to buy 4gb of ram and upgrade that. If you do those two upgrades, I bet your system will fell ridiculously fast.