Question for those of you with VESA Mounted iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SteelBlueTJ, Oct 8, 2013.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I am considering ordering my new iMac with a VESA mount instead of the stand. I prefer mounting my displays on swing arm desk clamps to allow for more desk room. I currently have my old 20" cinema display mounted on a swing arm clamp. The arm feels pretty heavy duty, but I'm not 100% sure it will hold the 27" iMac. I believe the weight capacity is 30 lbs. I don't want to order the VESA and have no way to mount the thing. Here's a picture of the arm mounted to my 20" cinema display. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Bear macrumors G3

Looking at the iMac Technical Specifications the current 27" iMac weighs 21 pounds. Changing the iMac to a VESA mount can't change the weight that much.

3. SteelBlueTJ thread starter macrumors 6502

Has anyone gotten the Vesa option and regretted it? I really wish Apple would have made them user upgradable like the older ones. I used to have a 20" 2007 iMac and the thing that annoyed me most about it was not being able to adjust the height. The iMacs just sit too low for my tastes, plus the large footpad takes up alot of room. If I know for sure my arm will work, then I might just go for it.

4. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I am wondering the same thing. Would be great to hear back from the community and those that maybe have some photos to share as well!

5. quintilian macrumors newbie

Oh boy...

I guess this is my time to shine...

Me and my GF got our new VESA 27" yesterday....

We use the computers A LOT at home, and decided we wanted them in our living room... Thus we had to give them the least amount of "computerishy" impact as possible (as few wires as possible etc ...).

[​IMG]

They are mounted on the simplest kind of VESA-mount to place them as close to the wall as possible. The mounts are secured to the dry wall with 4 "dry wall anchors" apiece, and the mounts themselves are certified to carry up to 30 kgs (don't know how that converts into the imperialist number system - sorry) :D

So far, no regrets for me :)

And if anyone is interested, this is how the table is mounted to the wall (which is a drywall-on-concrete-construction):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

thanks for the pics quintilian. the setup looks awesome. really nice. the table doesnt look like its going anywhere. do you feel that you are to close to the screens. it feels like i have to sit back with my 27 inch imac. every fiber of my soul regrets not getting the vesa mount. there is no way you can have it installed after the fact either. so im stuck.

7. roland.g, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I had a 2011 27" iMac wall mounted on a HumanScale M-8 arm which is rated to 40lbs. I removed the foot on my iMac, added the VESA plate and wall mounted it and loved it. This arm allowed for great motion up and down as well as out but didn't particularly like it (it wasn't the fluid floating gyroscopic movement I expected) because of the weight. That iMac weighed 30lbs.

The new iMacs without optical drive are greatly reduced at 19.2 lbs. (The stand model is 21lbs). My iMac was recently stolen in a home burglary. They actually unscrewed it from the wall mount. So I will be getting the new VESA version. I am a little miffed that it isn't like the older model, in the fact that were we to move, I can't simply change it back to the foot if my new home office dictates that is a better setup. However, I could most probably get the desk clamp foot for my M-8 and attach it to a solid enough desk.

Here is my post from the Arm mount thread with my setup.

8. SteelBlueTJ thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone think it would be harder to sell a used iMac with a VESA mount instead of a stand? I am thinking long term in 4 years when I am ready to upgrade again and am trying to sell a VESA iMac without a stand. Something tells me it would be significantly harder to do or even get what you would want for it. This is the main issue causing me to rethink getting a VESA iMac.

9. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Might take longer, but if you found the right buyer, you may be able to charge more if the given iMac isn't available.

10. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

it will definitely take longer since the number of people buying VESA only is significantly smaller, so your pool of potential buyers will be that much smaller.

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yes, unfortunately my 2011 iMac was stolen, which I had taken the stand off, added the VESA adapter plate, and then wall-mounted. Just ordered a new 2013 iMac VESA option, and certainly when the time comes, that will be a issue to deal with. I may consider selling it with an arm of some sort or that current arm if we move and my needs change. Adding an arm will certainly make it more appealing.