Question for those that are Mac pros...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by amitdoc2b, Jan 23, 2011.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I've had a Mac for a while but I still don't understand what this feature is..

Sometimes I may have multiple windows open and one of them accidently shifts off the screen onto the left or right, and gets a whole new screen of its own. This is accompanied by 8 small little squares on the bottom center of my computer in two rows of four (with 2 filled indicating I have 2 screens now). Then it takes me forever to figure how to get back to everything being on one screen and I just end up closing all my programs and reopening them in one screen again.

So why or how does this happen? How do I prevent this from occurring? And if it does happen, how do I access each screen and use it for its proper reason of actually being there in the first place?

Thanks!!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is called "Spaces"

Look under Expose and Spaces in your System Preferences

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

System Preferences > Exposé and Spaces > Click Spaces tab > Uncheck "Use Spaces" box

That will disable spaces which is causing you this "weird" activity though it's completely normal. You can also configure it so that you can actually use the Spaces as it can be very handy. E.g. put it on Menu Bar so you can easily switch between desktops.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Hit F8, then click on the one you want to see. Or, click and hold the mouse button and drag the prodigal window back to the box the rest of them are in.