Question for those who have upgraded to 4.2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by class77, Nov 17, 2010.

1. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Did the upgrade change the orientation switch on the side change to a mute button or is that jut a rumor? TIA

2. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

It is now a mute button.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

That is not rumor, it is now fact. And personally, I hate it.

4. class77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

class77

Well just @#$@#. Seems to me that the orientation button would be much more widely used than a mute button. There goes one of my reasons for buying a current iPad. Guess I'll wait for a new iPad 2.0

Thanks again for the quick reply.

5. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

What makes you think iPad 2.0 is going to go back to the original way?

They need to just give users the option in Settings to change it to mute OR orientation. Dont see that happening though unfortunately.

6. class77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

class77

You misunderstood Tekchic, I was going to get a current iPad because it had the switch and it was rumored that the orientation switch was going to be changed on iPad 2.0. Since it's already been changed on the current model, it eliminates one of my reasons to get the current one.

7. grimwwr macrumors member

You do know, in 4.2, that just a double tap of the home button and a swipe to the left on the multitasking bar will allow you to turn on the orientation lock, correct?

8. Fiddler70 macrumors regular

It's funny what a drama this switch is causing. I think it being a mute switch is entirely logical. Recently I have been attending lectures and concerts while carrying my iPad. It would have been silly if I would have had to open up, turn on, unlock and push the volume button down, every time I wanted to mute it.

It is much more likely that I want to lock rotation while I am actually using the iPad and am in an app, so the iPad is turned on and unlocked. It is more likely as well that I want to mute it on the go when going into a meeting or other situation where mail notification sounds or alarms are unwanted.

Option would have been nice, but it seems the haters have no idea of how important having a mute-switch actually is in another person's environment.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah i gave up on this discussion since everyone got an opinion, but I could't agree more with you, I love the change and make much much much sense than a rotation switch. If you want to lock the rotation of the screen is because you are LOOKING AT IT, which mean that an "on screen" switch make more sense. However Muting it (Like the example you just posted) need to be done using a Phisical switch since make no sense to have to open the device and go to whole process when you may want to switch the AIM or Email sound from your girlfriend while your wife is around ;)

10. CharlesR macrumors newbie

Exactly! I lost my hearing and there has been many, many times a person has had to tell me, "Please turn that thing down!" I had no idea the sound was even on, sorry.:(

I love the idea of a mute button!

11. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Except this mute button doesn't work that way, despite visual indications that suggest it does. Movie sound will still play, for example.

I dislike the new rotation system, though less than I thought I would. (See my thread on this.)

I accept the argument about having a mute switch you can 'feel for' just about, and I accept that the rotation lock will only be needed when looking at the screen. These are reasonable points.

I don't accept the idea that you'd often need to mute and unmute quickly or with any regularity, and I never need this functionality. On the other hand, I did find myself wanting to switch rotation lock on and off with some frequency.

Why this can't be user-set I have no idea. In before 'consistency' by the way, which is a bogus idea, not least of all because now the device is inconsistent with itself.

12. class77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

class77

Yep, it's the same as on my iPhone 4, but I think an external switch is much more convenient/faster and will be used much more than a mute button. If the technology exist to be either switch, I wish they would give me the option instead of changing it in the middle of the cycle.

13. Zcott macrumors 68020

I wouldn't be surprised if iPad 2 does away with the mute switch. It doesn't really bother me.

14. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Hmmm, opposed to just a flick of a switch. Wow, seems like a huge improvement in user experience then, considering I use the orientation lock considerably more often than the mute. And I am sure that I am not alone. I would have preferred that a double tap of the home button, a swipe and a touch were to activate the mute and the slider stayed as an orientation lock.

After having used 4.2GM since release, I can safely say that this change has had a negative effect on my use - especially as I keep getting told how stupid this change was by my fiancèe every time she starts reading something in bed.

15. jobsfnby macrumors regular

I already have a hardware mute and orientation-lock

Hardware-mute= hold down the bottom of the volume rocker for a second and it turns the sound down to zero

Hardware orientation= orientation lock pre-iOS 4.2

It would be so much nicer to keep it this way

16. Night Spring, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, as I mentioned in the other thread, my partner told me to roll his iPad back to 3.2.2 after spending a few days on 4.2GM. He has now instructed me NOT to upgrade his iPad when 4.2 is officially released -- he's happy with his lock orientation switch being what it is, and would rather keep that than have folders, multitasking, or a unified inbox. Imagine that! :D

Well, the people who want to mute quickly do have a point that this takes too long, because it only works if the screen is on. So in order to mute the device, you have to tap the power or home button, swipe to unlock, then hold down the volume down rocker. That's about as much "work" as the new way to lock orientation. To me, the simplest solution would be for the "volume down to mute" to work even when the screen is not on. Not being an engineer, I have no idea how hard it is to make such a modification.

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

If they could get the volume rocker to work with the display off then I'd agree, but there must be something locking it out.

18. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Personally, I don't hate that the rotation lock switch changed to a mute switch. WHAT I HATE is that if you hold down the volume rocker it also mutes the volume. Seems a little redundant now. Come on Apple! If I meant to mute the volume, I would use the new switch.

Since getting the iPad, I keep making the mistake of holding down the volume button to decrease the volume, forgetting it will totally mute it. I guess I am used to this procedure working on the iPhone. I still do it to this day on the iPad. Hold it down. It mutes. I curse. Then I tap to increase the volume a notch or two. I really hoped that when the rotation lock became a mute switch Apple would remove the hold-down-to-mute function.

19. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I'd be fine if it was a mute switch, but it isn't!! All it does is mute alerts and system sounds. Other sounds, music audio from video still play. I wish apple would give us options on what the switch would do, but as is With 4.2 it is useless to me now.

20. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

I don't get some of you people :)

This change makes perfect sense.

1. Why would you ever need to mute while listening to music or watch a movie? Hitting "pause" is a lot quicker and makes much more sense than holding down the down volume key.

2. It's great to be able to silence notifications quickly and easily when at work, watching video or sleeping.

3. I mute my iPad a heck of a lot more than I change the orientation.

4. The new way to lock the orientation isn't difficult at all.

Change can be hard, but if you really thought about it, it makes much more sense as mute than orientation lock.

21. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I hated the idea, but in practice, I actually like it.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It only makes "much more sense" if #3 above is true for you. However, that is not true for everyone. For instance, I always keep the volume on my iPad at zero unless I sepcifically want to hear sound through the iPad's speakers, which is not that often. Otherwise I use my iPad with the sound off, or listen to it through my headphones. Therefore, I almost never need a mute switch. I do use the lock orientation switch often, and while I understand that for some, or even perhaps the majority, a mute switch is more useful, for my use case, it isn't.

23. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Unless you are listening to music or radio and the screen has locked and turned off. And it's only one movement for 1.5s.

I'd suggest that turning the volume down also mutes notifications et al, because chances are that the reason that you turned the volume down on media would also be valid for the random beeps, pings ans swooshes of notifications.

That's your usage experience, but as many other threads have aptly demonstrated, there are many who use the orientation lock more than the mute.

Except that it takes a lot more than one movement and 1.5s

For you, but please don't be so narrow minded and expect everyone to like the same things you do. Different strokes for different folks.

24. sjwk macrumors member

Just to throw more wood on the fire - personally, I'd rather it was a 'disable 3G' switch for when I don't want to turn it on away from wifi and have the last app running refresh itself and charge me for a day's internet use...

*runs* :)

Steve.

25. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm happy for it to be a mute switch, it doesn't bother me -- what does bother me is every time I hold the decrease volume button (vs pressing) it mutes it instead of reducing the volume progressively, like the increase volume button increases it.