Question for those who own a Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PatriotInvasion, Feb 13, 2013.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I had a 27" iMac before getting my 13" rMBP, and while the USB ports on the back could charge my iPhone, it only would if the iMac was on and not asleep.

With the Thunderbolt Display, are the USB ports on and powered even when not connected to a Mac? Will I be able to unplug my Mac and leave my iPhone connected to the Thunderbolt Display and still have it charge?:confused:

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I saw no one replied so I tested a TBD with my iPhone, and yes, the USB ports do have power when the Mac is off or disconnected.

3. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Great to know! Thanks for checking for me:)

4. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I've got the Cinema display but, it's essentially the same thing when it comes to USB 2.0 features. That's one of my favorite surprise features. Everything remains powered on when the Mac gets disconnected! (Though mine turns everything off when I disconnect, and a second later turns it all back on).

5. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Mine too, same when I turn my Mac on. But it only lasts a second.

6. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Weird. So the power turns off and then on again? So I'm guessing I'd hear the charging chime on my iPhone plugged in to the TB Display every time I disconnect my Mac?

I can live with that as long as the USB ports stay powered. This would benefit my desk set up as the iPhone's wall charger and Lightening cord are too short to have it charging on my desk. If I could just leave the Lightening cord attached to a TB Display as a "plug", that would be ideal.