Question for those who use magnet mounts: Wireless charging

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I love magnet mounts.

I have a few magnet pucks around my apartment(kitchen, bathroom, bedside, etc.) and find it super convenient and sort of "futuristic" to be able to just stick and remove my phone anywhere in one single handed motion. This is especially convenient in the kitchen when cooking or facetiming while walking around my home and multitasking.

The one thing I don't like about magnet mounts is that it requires me to have a metal plate stuck to the back of my phone limiting the types of cases I use(I dont want to see a random rectangle on the back of my iphone) I use and takes away the wires charging functionality.

What are people doing to use a magnet mount and still have wireless charging?

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Don’t think you really can. I’m getting a wireless charger and on this case I didn’t put a magnet mount on mine. I did however try it once with my last case and it was super hot in 5 mins

mquinn

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2012
Normal, IL
You definitely can. I stick one of these inside my official apple leather case on my XS and have no issues using magnetic mount with wireless charging in my car. These should work perfect for you. It's thin enough that it doesn't affect using the case at all

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075YB8C7F/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sorry to reply to an older thread but I was searching for how to use wireless charging with a metal plate for magnetic mounting.

So will this ring work with ANY wireless Qi charger? If so, does it matter where on the phone the rings sit? Like if they overlap the coil on the wireless charger, does it cause a problem or cause the charger to think there is a foreign object there?

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Sorry to reply to an older thread but I was searching for how to use wireless charging with a metal plate for magnetic mounting.

So will this ring work with ANY wireless Qi charger? If so, does it matter where on the phone the rings sit? Like if they overlap the coil on the wireless charger, does it cause a problem or cause the charger to think there is a foreign object there?
I haven’t had any issues on any of the 10 or so wireless chargers my phone has been placed on since I got it

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Mixed reviews on that product. Is it strong enough?
In the two or so years I've used it, I can remember 3 or 4 times where the phone fell off the mount and into my little coin holder area. Those times were when I hit some massive potholes or I didn't center the phone on the mount enough.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
In the two or so years I've used it, I can remember 3 or 4 times where the phone fell off the mount and into my little coin holder area. Those times were when I hit some massive potholes or I didn't center the phone on the mount enough.
Maybe I'll try those out although I have 0 qi chargers lol