Question for those who use the stack overlay icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by writeous, Dec 17, 2007.

1. writeous macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2007
    For those who use the stack icons, does it cause your dock the crash upon start up? Everytime I restart my MBP, when I have the icons placed in the dock, everything loads up but the dock, and it usually takes about 5 to 10 seconds to appear. I can tell when the dock crashes by looking at console, and also the desktop background changes when it happens. I reinstalled Leopard just to see if it was a problem with something else, but as soon as I put the icon back, it crashes again. :(
  2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Jul 15, 2006

but i honestly dont rebook my mac enough to notice either way...
  3. writeous thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2007
  4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Jul 15, 2006
    I dont think overlays could really cause the problem, because it is nothing more and a file (or folder) with an icon, that you told to stay on top.
  5. GNice macrumors 6502

Aug 7, 2007

No problems at all...
  6. nemex macrumors regular

Nov 14, 2007
    No problems here... I've been using those for weeks without any issue :apple:
  7. psonice macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2005
    I'm sure this is covered somewhere already, but how do you get the icon to stay on the top? I've tried sorting by name and having a folder called _ which works fine for a while, then seems to stop working. I've tried 1111 too, same happens. It seems that if I have a folder with the icon called 1, then download a file called 2, 2 goes on top even though it's sorted by name!

Any clues as to what's going wrong?
  8. alst macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2003
    I stumbled across the answer to this by accident.
    You don't sort by file modification date in the menu bar but rather by right clicking on the stack itself where a menu to sort will appear. Choose "sort by modification date".

From then on, the translucent overlay will always be on top.
  9. FlameBoy macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2008
    you need to form an Terminal command, so its modification date changes to 1 january, 2020. is shall post it here:

cd ~/Downloads

touch -mt 202001010101.01 " Downloads "

CHange downloads into the stack you want. Have fun.
  10. cbrain macrumors 65816

Dec 9, 2006
    North-East, UK
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I use the "Draws" and so far I haven't had any problems...
  11. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2007
    Perhaps it is a damaged icon file that is causing the issue. Try using different icons for the overlays.