Question for those who went through 2.0 beta

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Requiemm, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Requiemm macrumors regular

How often did they seed updates when they did the 2.0 beta?

2. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

I remember someone on here saying that there were 8 versions of the beta before the official release.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

There were a lot of updates but not really at regular intervals. The first 3.0 beta is much more stable than the first 2.0 one was so it's likely that there won't be as many updates

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

On a related note, I believe that version 1.0 was built on top of some software they bought, just to get started.

2.0 was a complete re-write from the gournd up, hence many of the problems. It was really more of a 1.0 in that sense.

Now, 3.0 is just an update of 2.0, so it's actually a year-old piece of software with many improvements.

So things should go much smoother this time around.

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Yes, there were about 7 or 8 beta releases for 2.0. The last 2.0 beta they released ended up being the final version.

6. musio macrumors 68020

musio

That's really interesting Mr small car :-o Have you any links or things to read regarding that information? What did apple buy? Anything from xerox? ;) No, seriously, how do you know this? Steve jobs said in the 2007 keynotes iphone runs OSX 10 (albeit a stripped down version)

7. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

For those that went through the 2.0 beta, did you have any problems updating from a beta version to the release version, or did it all go smoothly?

8. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I experienced multiple issues, sometimes going from 1 beta release to another. Lost some data when restore failed with one of the releases. I experienced several other issues as well, although I can't really remember them all that well. And then there was 1 beta release that came out a few hours after the previous one expired, so I was left with a non-functioning iPhone for a few hours. Don't mess with this stuff if you don't know what you may be getting in to.

9. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

That kind of stuff is to be expected when it comes to beta software, but was going from beta -> official 2.0 good?

10. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

When a new beta comes out the previous one expires correct? But how does your iPhone know that the build that is on it has expired?

11. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

The last beta release actually ended up being the final release.

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

It's time coded. There is a deactivation date hard coded into it and once that date is reached the iPhone deactivates until the newer beta build or non-beta build is installed.