Question for those with a 13" rMBP.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Nov 23, 2015.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I currently have an early 2013 15" rMBP, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, 750GB SSD.

I'm looking to give this one to my wife, and get a 13" rMBP.

We only surf the web, watch Youtube video's, do basic word processing and spreadsheets.

My main concern with going to the 13" is, will I notice any decreased function because the 13' has a dual core processor instead of a quad core?

Also, is the 13" that much smaller in terms of viewing? I like the 15" screen, but like that the 13" is smaller overall.

Any other insight between the 13" & 15" rMBP's will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

2. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

For the kind of usage you're describing two cores are absolutely fine - multiple CPUs are only better when the process is able to utilize them (the app is programmed to run in multiple threads). Word processing isn't an example of a parallel task, so don't worry, the new dual core may even run faster.

3. waquzy macrumors regular

waquzy

I have always had an 15" laptop, however, this year I chose the 13" Pro. The first thing you notice is how light it is compared to the 15" model. I got used to the size of the screen within 2-3 days. Go for it mate, you won't regret it. Going from quad core to dual core won't make the things you do any slower.

Also the size of the 13" is perfect. if you are using it on your lap a lot, 15" is just too big for that.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Real question is: why are you doing this switch ?
    Are you looking for better portability ?

Your current rMBP is better than the rMBP 13" you are going to buy, except for battery life.

Don't get me wrong: I just switched from a late 2011 MBP 15" to my current rMBP 13", a wonderful notebook, and I have no remorse because I was looking for a retina display and a better portability.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I had a couple of 15" MacBook Pros, but I prefer the 13" form factor. The screen size is fine for me and the dual core CPU is fast enough for your stated usage.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

13" is perfectly fine for word, web, Photoshop, Lightroom and even video editing.