question for those with an ipod enabled car stereo

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Solesk, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Solesk macrumors member

my stereo just has an audio input. so i can play music. but it does not control the ipod. i have a touch.

my question for those with an ipod enabled car stereo is if when turning the car off. what happens to the ipod? does it just keep doing it's thing? or will it pause the ipod and turn it off?

and if it does, what happens when the car turns back on?

i realize these may sound trivial. but it does it with cd's. it should be standard on mp3 devices also. technology should add functionality. not remove it.

2. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

I have a pioneer stereo that has usb and is ipod enabled ..

[​IMG]

when turning off my car :

my touch fall asleep and it stays cold and safe .

when turning car back on :

stereo wakes up my ipod and i get control back again in couple seconds ..

3. Solesk thread starter macrumors member

does it auto start playing the song where it left off like a cd would? or do you need to manually restart everything?

4. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

it does start from the exact same point ..

5. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

I have a Sony in dash receiver that has the iPod connector. I know Sony is not the best brand out there, but its good if you are a budget. It was only about $125

And yes, it pauses and wakes the iPod and resumes from the last played point.

6. Solesk thread starter macrumors member

7. Solesk thread starter macrumors member

sorry! one last question. when you start the car, and the ipod resumes playing. do you need to slide to unlock it? or does it go back to the music screen with no user input?

i know this sounds trivial. but in this cold weather i'm often wearing gloves. which dont work on the touch screen. i'd rather not keep taking them off just to start the music. it would be nice to have it all automated.

8. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

sounds like a good way to have your stereo and ipod stolen.

9. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

nope, no need to unlock it

and most stereos have removable faceplates, and you can run the iPod cord to go into the glove box, which can then be locked when you are not in the car

10. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

if you think either of those things are safe you are sadly mistaken.

11. 7even macrumors 6502a

I have the same stereo :D The iPod Touch works perfectly with it. The only thing that annoys me is that for some odd reason I can't return to the beginning of the song with one click - the Rewind button on the stereo sends me to the previous track..

To the OP: as long as there is a specific iPod connection, a modern car stereo will be intelligent enough to do exactly what you want ;)

12. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

meh, i live in a reeeeaaalllyy quiet town

13. negatv1 macrumors 6502

The obvious solution is to just sleep in your car so you can be on the alert for would be thieves. :rolleyes:

14. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

I have an inexpensive Sony as well and it works just as the others have described. It has an aux in AND I have it wired to by glove compartment where it can control the touch. I prefer to use the aux for short rides as I can control it from the iPod, but the wired connection is great (a bit slow, though) for long trips!

15. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

in my "quiet town" during the day (with people home) my explorer was broken into and the stereo and the faceplate (in a locked glovebox) was stolen in 12 seconds.

i read the cars plate and he was cought an hour later with fresh crack (half gone) and no stereo.

this was the house my family has lived in for almost 90 years and 3 generations.

so i am just saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

16. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

17. Solesk thread starter macrumors member

does it lock the ipod out when connected through the cable? i prefer to still control through the touch. the interface is better and i have a cradle for it. i just want it to turn off when i turn the car off to minimise the amount of times i need to deal with it.