Question for those with MBP's R.E: Gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dan0903, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Dan0903 macrumors member

will the current mid range MBP handle games?

i want to play gears of war using vista on my MBP, and i know (hopefully) they'll be updated soon.

but if not, do the current MBP's handle games very well? (i.e. with good settings)

2. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

I installed Bioshock on my buddies new MBP 15.4 2.4

On Medium/high it ran ok, was definitely playable although i didn't get into any crazy firefights or anything.

The scariest thing about it is the amount of heat.... thought I could cook an egg on the bottom of the thing when I was done.

Look on you tube theres a whole lot of video clips of people running things like Call Of Duty 4 and Crysis. I wanted to install Supreme commander and see how it was, but didn't have time.

3. ajhaji macrumors regular

My MBP runs games really well, even when plugged into my 1920x1200 LCD. You will definitely want to upgrade your graphics drivers. The one Apple provides in Boot Camp are crap. Look for customized drivers on Google.

4. Koconut macrumors newbie

Dan, can you please elaborate on your post.. I have just got myself a MBP and am using bootcamp to play reasonably high demanding games.. I haven't noticed anything regarding poor performance, but what drivers are you talking about, and where could I get them from?

Cheers :cool:

5. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

all the OS X games I have run on it work great, the most demanding being Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars

6. baslotto macrumors regular

Hi all.
    I'm interested in this too.
    I just played Call of Duty 4 at a friends place and once again I was amazed by the game.
    Question: is it possible for me to run the same game (which is made only for PC) on my iMac 2.8 extreme using VMware Fusion? Has anybody tried?

I'm sorry, I don't want to take over the first question but I think they are very related questions and the answers could help both of us and somebody else.

Thank you for any input.

Bas.

7. elcid macrumors 6502

A laptop is always going to get hot. If I had a MBP and really wanted to play games I would definitely take a look at poping off the heatsink and redoing the thermal grease. That would save you prolly 10 degrees or so.

8. bubble27 macrumors regular

what size monitor did you play on?

what game was it aswell?

Omega drivers are really good!

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It cannot be run under VMWare or Parallels (if it can, will be extremely slow as of now). You need to use bootcamp. More info in the gaming thread mentioned above.

10. Jian001 Guest

I play WoW with 4x AA, max resolution and all graphical settings tuned up with my 2.4ghz MBP, 4GB, 7200 RPM 200g HDD. I get on average 20-25 frames per second.. although it drops to below 10 at times.

I love eye candy.

11. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

WoW isn't exactly pushing the envelope though is it? I used to think WoW looked incredible when it first came out. I havent played in quite some time, but was at a friends house and was watching someone play and thought it looked pretty pedestrian by todays standards.

12. torpy macrumors regular

Tried it out a month or so ago, it runs really smoothly at medium/high settings :)

13. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

that with single or dual monitors?

14. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

all 5 of them

15. torpy macrumors regular

Single (internal 15" @ 1440x900)