Question for Unlocked Iphone on 3gs 3.1(7C144)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xanders, May 27, 2010.

1. xanders macrumors member

I just bought and unlocked Iphone 3gs on 3.1(7C144) Modem Firmware 05.11.07. My question is since it a used phone, there is another owner's name, what happens if I connect this to Itunes and reset? Will it update itself and get locked? Can I reset name/files etc without upgrading to latest firmware? From what I have researched there seems to be no unlock for firmware 3.1.3. Or can I upgrade to 3.1.3 and unlock? Thanks for the help in advance. Oh and the Iphone has Cydia. :confused:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can rename the iphone's name on itunes.
    Dont restore it or reset it. It will update to the latest 3.1.3 and lock up again.
    Leave it alone. If it aint broke....

3. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

How do you have a 5.11.07 baseband on a 3GS phone that was released in 2009? Don't the baseband numbers reflect release dates?

I bought my 3GS when they were just released and it has 04.26.08...

4. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I'll answer my own question. Boy was I off base! I thought these baseband release numbers were by date. Not at all...

Wikipedia is your friend...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS_version_history

5. xanders thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the prompt reply and clarification. Can I sync it with a empty itune so that I can erase all the stuff the previous owner had, (without restoring or resetting it?) Also is it worth upgrading to 3.1.2 and then unlocking it? Or should I just leave it for the moment? Thanks in advance. (Just psyched about connecting it to the Itunes, heard some scary tales :eek:)

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

bb is updated with firmware upgrades bro

7. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I'm certainly not the iPhone expert many are on this forum...but I don't believe bb is upgraded with firmware. Maybe I'm wrong?

I am running 3.1.3 w/ a bb of 04.26.08 (which is not the latest bb).

8. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Wrong indeed. And not so much expertise as common JB knowledge. Why do you think people advise against upgrading FW if they want to keep the unlock.
    I would guess you have maintained your BB by restoring using custom FW's (which is one of the main reasons to use custom FW's)

9. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Yep...I've been using PwnageTool to maintain my current FW. Thanks for clarifying. Then basically a custom FW upgrades the version (OS) but maintains the FW.

10. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Thanks....

11. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

No, you have been upgrading your FW but maintaining your baseband

12. xanders thread starter macrumors member

How do you do that?:confused:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can sync the iphone with your library. That will erase all his music, videos, ringtones, apps etc..
    And you can transfer over your stuff from your itunes.
    You wont be able to update a 3GS to anything but the latest 3.1.3 and thus losing your unlock.
    Leave it alone if you're not 100% and you're not using it on official carrier.
    You can sync and transfer stuff thru itunes without a prob, just make sure you dont update when it pops up a message prompting you to update to 3.1.3

14. xanders thread starter macrumors member

Great thanks a ton! :) It has Cydia installed, will that get deleted also?

15. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

By using a Custom FW. whats not to get:confused:

16. xanders thread starter macrumors member

Ah ok!:) didn't know there were custom FW available for Iphones.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, cydia and all JB addons will stay.
    Syncing doesnt delete or edit anything.
    It just a program to transfer stuff like music, apps, videos, ringtons and other stuff on your phone.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think they’re getting confused with what is firmware and what is the baseband and thinking they’re the same thing. At least, that’s what it seems like.

Some definitions:

Baseband: This is the processor that manages all the functions which need an antenna. The GSM phone, as well as the WiFi and bluetooth are all under the control of the baseband processor. The baseband processor has its own RAM and FLASH resources, separate from the ARM core resources. The baseband processor is a resource to the OS. 5.11.07 is one example of a baseband for the iPhone.

Firmware: This is what you’d think of as the Operating System that tells all the hardware what to do. So, OS 3.1.3 would be one of the firmwares for an iPhone.

Applejuiced, Pixelated, DHLizard or thelatinist can jump in and correct me if I didn’t quite capture the concepts.

Also, PwnageTool is what is used to make a custom firmware. It takes the normal firmware you’d use from Apple, does some magic, and then you have a custom firmware you can then restore with that DOES NOT upgrade the baseband.

19. xanders thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this.