question for upgrading to ios 6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by cheeesed, Sep 26, 2012.

1. cheeesed macrumors newbie

long story short, my friend gave me a 4s that wasn't on my carrier so i had to use a gevy sim. anyway, it crapped out soon thereafter and, out of sheer boredom, i took it to the mac store, where they said it was suffering from a common motherboard problem and gave me a new one no questions asked. i have reason to believe that if i upgrade to iOS 6, it will restore default settings of the original owner (putting it back under a different carrier)

am i correct in assuming this? would it make a difference if i just updated on the phone rather than updated via iTunes? any info would be much appreciated.

thanks

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

You'd have to restore from a backup. It'll only put back on apps, settings, and photos (I believe). Restoring it should also update it to 6.0. While apps will be restored back, they will have lost their data (i.e. Angry Birds levels wouldn't carry over). If you restore from an iCloud backup after restoring to iOS 6, app data may or may not be restored depending on if you chose to back them up.

3. cheeesed thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe i phrased it wrong, but i'm just wondering if i update to iOS 6 (which my phone has asked me to do), won't it bring back the original settings registered to the phone (such as the fact that it was on a different network, therefor locking my phone)