Question for you smarter folk on getting a new Macbook Pro soon...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleMacTastic, May 7, 2015.

1. AppleMacTastic macrumors newbie

AppleMacTastic

Okay I haven't signed onto this forum for a long while but as I plan to get a new Macbook maybe around the end of this month I thought I'd pop on to try and see if any of you could help me decide some things. Apologies if this is a bit long, I'll try not ramble.

I currently have a White Macbook I bought back in 2010 (I think) which has been my first mac and definitely one of the best things to have spent my money on. It has been slowly starting to act up a bit lately (on and off) which kills me, because I love it. At the moment though, myself and my family all have some of the most up to date iPhones and iPads (my parents use) and thought as I have a decent new job I may aswell splash out on a new laptop as it feels a good time.

I've always been a big fan of Apple products, I'm just not very "techy" when it comes to talking/understanding about processors, RAM etc. I have basic ideas about it but not enough to feel confidant when getting the right laptop.

So that brings me here..

When I knew I was going to be getting a new laptop I started doing a bit of research to see whats available now (I don't usually keep upto date with the new Apple products if I don't need them or haven't the money).

For awhile I was caught up between the new 13Inch Retina Macbook Pro and the new 11Inch Macbook (2015). Which by the looks of things a lot of people are haha.. But After going through reviews etc online I think the winner was obviously the Macbook Pro for it's over all performance aswell as other reasons. I think one of the main reasons I was even contemplating the 11Inch Macbook was because it just looks AMAZING, especially in Space Grey. I am seeing a bit more clearly now and am almost certain I'll be going for the reliable Macbook Pro.

When getting my new laptop I would like to continue using certain programs I've always been using or maybe even some new programs... eg. Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Flash, maybe Maya or Z Brush or other film related programs as I work in that kind of thing. I also like to keep music and photos and photo/video editing so I'm really wanting the best I can get at the moment.

Okay so heres where it gets a tad confusing an I need help with...
    On the apple site the highest spec 13Inch Macbook Pro has 8GB Memory, 512GB storage and the Intel Corei5 Processor for €2,049 which sounds good to me. But then I see each of these three have the option to be configured to higher specs which would be even more similar to the 15Inch model (which I don't want that screen size) for example the 13Inch 8GB Memory can be brought up to 16GB, the 512GB storage can be put up to 1TB and the Processor can be brought up from a Corei5 to a Corei7. So I guess I'm just wondering would anyone here recommend me getting any of these configured the the higher specs? And if so which ones? Any idea what the price for each of these to be brought up? and if I was to get any of these configured would it have any negative effects on the smaller 13Inch model (battery or anything) as it may not be built as well as the 15 Inch for any extras such as these?

Would very much appreciate if anyone could answer any of my crazy questions. I'm just wanting a laptop thats fast, good storage and will last me a while! Also if ordering from Apples online store how long would it take to get it if its not going to be configured and then how long if some things are configured?

Thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Only if you need them, and since you're asking you probably don't need them.

No, battery life is basically the same with or without the upgrades.

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I'm a fan of base models. Top-spec Macs are a bit overpriced and Apple seems to prefer that you buy the base model unless you really NEED the extra features or have money to burn.

If you're not tech savvy, I'd perhaps opt for a 13" 8GB/256GB i5 one, since you probably won't feel confident to upgrade the internal SSD drive in the future or deal with external storage (e.g., a fast SD card solution like the Transcend Jetdrive Lite).

I probably have the same Macbook as you (mine is a Late-2009 white one). It's still a good machine after upgrading to a SSD and 8GB, but sometimes we just want something new and nothing will change our mind. In my case, I jumped to the 15" rMBP. It weighs 2kg which is the same weight of a Unibody White Macbook, which is fine to me. Don't need a lighter laptop.

A base 13" rMBP will be roughly 3x as fast as a 2009/2010 White Macbook. A base 15" rMBP will be roughly 6x as fast. It's up to you deciding between performance and portability.

4. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

The apps you are describing you "may" use can be considerable RAM users, so I think the RAM upgrade is purely determined by how often you will be using these programs, and whether or not you will be using many of them simultaneously. Keep in mind that these cannot be upgraded later.

The Core i5 to Core i7 upgrade is not really worth it money wise, as I'm sure many people in this forum will attest to. The 2.9ghz Core i5-5287u is marginally slower then the 3.1Ghz Core i7-5557u, both are dual core, both have Hyper-Threading(Each core pretends to be 2 under specific circumstances). You will realize maybe a 5% difference in performance between them, and only under maximum load scenarios. Typical usage, you will not notice a major difference between them.

As far as storage goes, the more you have, the more you can store on your local drive. If you know you will need to have everything on your computer at all times for access, AND that you will need more then the 512GB storage option, then upgrade. Otherwise go with the 512GB and save yourself 3/4 of the money you would spend on that upgrade and get an external hard drive for offloading content from your built in SSD, if/when you need to.

5. AppleMacTastic thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleMacTastic

Thanks for all your responses

Thanks a lot for each of your replies, they were very helpful. I may end up sticking with the base model although I am still torn by having the option of more storage or RAM. I have just seen a thread on how many people are complaining about the Macbook Pros anti-reflective display and cannot believe how bad some screens have gone, I'm really in shock and now quite turned off the MBP but I am unsure if this is a problem that will be on the most recently released MBP 13Inch, I really hope not, its a disgrace! Anybody know if the newest released MBPs (March) will have this problem?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

As with any device on any forum, any problem you see usually affects a (very) vocal minority.

Nobody buys a rMBP, looks up Macrumors on google, sign up, find the correct subforum only to post a thread saying "hey there, mine works just fine".

I wouldn't worry about it.

7. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Exactly what snaky said, people are very vocal about negative experiences. The key thing to remember is that for every 1 person commenting about some negative issue, there are 100(or insert any substantial number here) people that aren't experiencing that problem.

8. AppleMacTastic thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleMacTastic

That all makes a lot of sense, I hope the number of machines with this problem is very low as I'd be devastated to have to put up with that, I'm really excited about getting one I just hate when you hear of such a problem before you get something that your mind is already set on! I'll just be extra aware of this as a problem and take any extra precautions to keep it from happening. I'll basically just be afraid to touch the screen at all now :(

9. rhyzome macrumors regular

A word on the 15":
    If this is the model you choose, wait until the next refresh if you can. It is likely that the 15" will be refreshed relatively soon, I predict, as the 13"s were just updated with a new haptic feedback trackpad, faster SSDs and a new generation of processors (whose quad core components' time of leaving the Intel factories is likely the limiting factor on the production of the rMBP). (The quad core broad well processors' _official_ release date is not necessarily an indication of the 15" release date, however, as Apple likely gets priority/early supply).

10. AppleMacTastic thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleMacTastic

Okay so I got my brand new MacBook Pro 13Inch 512GB on Thursday the 29th of May (at the end of the month from around when I started this thread, like I planned) it cost me €2,049. Everything has been fantastic since I've got it. I mentioned on one of the posts above (before I got my laptop) that I found out about a major issue people have noticed with their MacBook Pros, the screen problem with the anti-reflective wearing, causing terrible looking scratch marks on their screen which is all Apples fault. I just found this out before I even purchased my laptop assuming it was an issue a small number of people had and was very aware that closing the lid top of the laptop could possibly cause a bit of the damage. Knowing all this and being very turned off by what I heard I still went out and got my new MacBook hoping these problems only happened in older models and this had since been fixed in the 2015 models. From the day I got my laptop knowing all this I have been EXTRA careful with it by keeping the paper sheet (that comes with the laptop) sitting in-between the keyboard and screen just to be safe but also being reluctant to close the lid too much, unlike with my older MacBook as I always felt thats what I should be doing to keep it dust free etc, but with this I've only been closing it really when I'm completely done using it VERY gently with the paper between the screen and keyboard AND I literally haven't even TOUCHED the screen since I got it, thinking all this time I've been so overly cautious! But today LESS than a month of getting this laptop I was just about to turn it on to use still being annoyingly careful as ever and I've just noticed that it ALREADY has marks at the side of the screen!!! I'm sick over this and feel so hard done by and stupid (for knowing this and going ahead and risking getting one anyway). I don't know what to do now as I feel I have an argument as I've just gotten it, have the receipt and feel I can do something about it as its so new but then after reading this site http://www.staingate.org its making me think that nothing will be able to be done about it or if it does get fixed, which shockingly would cost me that it could just go and do it again over time! Anyone help me decide what to do next? Thanks

Heres Images I've uploaded of the problem...

Attached Files:

11. AppleMacTastic thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleMacTastic

Also even that scratch mark (you may see in the first picture) I have NO idea how that got there and know for fact it wasn't anything I've done

12. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Use the cloth that came in the box with your Mac and clean your screen and stop worrying. The pictures you posted show the edges of the screen are dirty. You are seeing a problem because you are looking for it. As for the scratch.. I've had debris on my screen that looked like scratches before.. again wipe it down with the cloth. And if there is a scratch there legitimately.. screen didn't scratch itself...

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

Always buy base models.
    If you think you need more power, which might be the case with the apps you mentioned, go for the 15" models.

14. magbarn macrumors 68000

Agreed 1000%. The loaded rMBP 13 are a ripoff as they're more than the rMBP 15, which while it has an 'outdated' CPU/GPU, still will kill the 2 core broadwell in the rMBP 13 as it has twice the cpu cores and Iris Pro which is much faster than plain Broadwell Iris. Broadwell Iris Pro OTOH is a different story...