Question for YouTube partners from a fellow partner

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yourwiseguy, Dec 3, 2010.

1. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

Hey everyone! I'm excited to say that my YouTube channel (linked in sig) has finally made partner! Me and my friend Joey do app reviews and are really excited to start doing more videos AND to activate revenue sharing. The thing is, I can't find any solid information on copyright infringement and filming iPhone apps. We use a lot of footage of the apps we review and would love to put ads on those videos but I have no idea if I am violating any copyright laws. It makes you answer questions about your videos before placing ads and one of them is basically to prove that you have rights to everything in the video. My question is: do I have the right to film iPhone apps and use them in my videos? If so, then I am good to go! But if so, do I literally need to contact every app developer who's app I review? Thank you for reading and thank in advance for your replies!

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If there is money to be made from this, than you are.

Plain and simple.

Sorry.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'm not so sure it is that "plain and simple".

It seems as if it would reasonably fall under fair use. Although I should state, my like the poster above, I not a lawyer.

I might be worth bringing this up over at toucharcade as they often post videos of apps as well as screenshots for their review purposes.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I think you're right. For the purpose of doing a review of the app, it should be ok to use a few images

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

coming from a fellow partner youtube could care less about fair use. if you didnt create whatever is in the video and you try to monetize it your breaking the partner TOS and DMCA laws.

that being said; ive seen tons of monetized vids of app reviews so it should be fine aslong as your doing a legit, insightful review video.

6. yourwiseguy thread starter macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

I got it all figured out. Turns out it DOES fall under fair use. Got ads up on a few vids. Except for some reason they denied my review of Infinity Blade for revenue sharing. But it's exactly like all of my other reviews. Go figure. Thanks for the replies!