Question from a Mac novice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Palo Alto, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Palo Alto macrumors newbie

OK, guys and girls. I have a question. I'm a novice when it comes to Macs, so bear with me on my stupidity.

I am very interested in buying a Mac. I'm a journalist and will only be using it for word processing, surfing the Internet, iTunes, that kind of stuff. Nothing too high tech obviously.

I just want a dependable machine, but nothing expensive. In talking to some people, I've learned that going the refurbished route is a good way to go.

I've long been in love with the iBook G4. Now, I know it is an older model, but the keyboard, size, look, etc...I love it all.

How is this machine? Since it is refurbished, will it run smoothly and quickly like new. Or will the age of it still make it slower? Also, if I install Lion or Mountain Lion over the summer, will that help out?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.welovemacs.com/ibkg41gcombo.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=ibkg41gcombo

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should at least get an Intel Mac. iBook G4s aren't good for much of anything now.

3. Palo Alto thread starter macrumors newbie

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I wouldn't touch that one. It does not include the system discs, Only 512 ram. It's also refurb and I'd only buy refurb from apple.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

The latest OS that you can install on any PPC Mac, of which the G4 is one, is 10.5 'Leopard'.

To install the current OS 'Lion' you would need a minimum of a Core2Duo Intel Mac - a Core Duo is not enough. To run Mountain Lion (the next OS) you are looking at a late 2008 MacBook with Nvidia Graphics (I believe).

I run a PowerMac G4, for old time's sake, and am already beginning to run into issues sourcing and running current software.

-Rob

7. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

8. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Hello and welcome to Macs.

Since you're new, I'll give you a brief history lesson.

In the early 1994 Apple switched from Motorola processors to PowerPC Processors.
    In 2006 Apple switched from PowerPC processors to Intel processors.

The iBook and PowerBook are Macs with PowerPC processors.
    Personally, I love them as toys, but wouldn't use one as my main computer because:
    1) You're buying something old. Every computer fails eventually. Don't depend on a computer whose timer started that long ago.
    2) Apple doesn't support them anymore. No new updates, bug fixes, patches, new products, etc.
    3) Most software vendors don't support PowerPC anymore. You'll have to look for old versions of products.

The apple refurb store is a great way to get a deal on almost new apple products.

If you want to save some money, you can buy used or refurb from other places.
    Depending on where you are, craigslist can have some great options.

9. Palo Alto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guy, appreciate all the input.

For my purposes (word processing, Internet, iTunes) would any of these three be satisfactory. My main concerns are the three I typed above, but I also don't want something really slow. From my understanding Macs last forever, so would getting a four-year old computer last me a while or would the technology be obsolete? Also, which Macs will be able to run the new Mountain Lion software?

Thanks again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...&otn=21&pmod=170810091482&ps=54#ht_3958wt_825

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...otn=21&pmod=170810091482&ps=54#ht_5437wt_1292

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-2-1...otn=21&pmod=170810091482&ps=54#ht_2251wt_1185

10. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Macs, just like any Hardware, don't last FOREVER. Old hardware will eventually become so slow that it doesn't effectively work anymore.

With that said. I have the exact same model as the second link. I plan to upgrade the RAM to 4GB and the HDD to an SSD but it does run alright. Chances are though, if you really want Mountain Lion, it won't work. I don't think that's confirmed but it's the guess.

For basic purposes, however, it does the job decently well.

11. Palo Alto thread starter macrumors newbie

So you think that one will do? How long do you think it will last?

12. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

I think the next model up with the nvidia video card would be better

Why don't you get yourself a 2010 or 2011 Macbook Air they are going for cheap used or refurbished

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

What you really want is a macbook air.

Buying a 7 year old machine and expecting it to continue to function (i.e., be dependable) for any real period of time (especially a portable) is being unrealistic.

14. Palo Alto thread starter macrumors newbie

15. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

i would want to buy that mac for $600

But the 11 inch MBA is sweet when coupled with the thunderbolt display

16. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Well I bought the non-unibody version of that (Same specs, different body) in january 2009 for $1200 so $700 for it now (plus the unibody which is nice) isn’t too bad.

However I still think you’re better off going with something newer. The price isn’t bad but you can get a refurbished air FROM THIS YEAR from apple for $150 more. Screen is smaller but you get the SSD for crazy speed and an i5 compared to a C2D. I don’t like the macbook air’s but for $150 extra I would certainly take a new computer over an old one.