Question from a newbie

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NJMetsHero, Jun 20, 2011.

1. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

My friend and I are having an app developed. Neither of us are developers really so we paid someone to write the code. So just a quick question. If we want to look at the app and see what it looks like, do we need to be part of the dev program? Or can we just buy Xcode and load it on my iPod touch that way? Thanks a lot in advance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The developer you have paid should be able to add you device to their account which will let you load the app to your iPod Touch.

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I just wonder how, once the app is done and released, payment and whatnot is going to work.

Is this a common way of developing apps?

4. NJMetsHero thread starter macrumors regular

My friend found and hired the developer, so I'll ask him, but it's my understanding that he isn't in the dev program. He found the developer in a somewhat shady way from my perspective.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That would depend on what the contract they and the developer have signed says. Paying developers to develop apps is fairly common: lots of people believe they have the next amazing idea (and are normally wrong of course) but don't have the skills or time to turn them into an app so hire a developer or team of developers to do it for them.

I would never hire a developer who is not in the program. Either he or you will have to pay to join the program to submit the app for sale or even to test it on a real device.

6. NJMetsHero thread starter macrumors regular

Can I buy Xcode in the Mac App Store and run the app in the simulator without joining the program first?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, if the developer gives you the source code or a simulator build but certain things (anything that requires specific hardware for example) don't work in the sim.