Question From an Existing iPhone User

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by catfish743, Jun 10, 2008.

1. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

So. Are we screwed? I mean, I've had my iPhone since my birthday, June 29th of last year.I would really like to upgrade to the 3G mainly because this iPhone has seen a years worth of hard use and the batter isn't exactly where I would want it to be. My question is:

Will we have to pay extra to upgrade? or just the 199? I mean personally I think we early adopters have payed enough. I know I know, capitalism and market economy. But bite me. I can still be angry.

I really look forward to the new release though. Also I encourage any other 1st gen questions or comments.

2. TheOrioles33 macrumors 6502

The only "screwing" we will get is paying $30 instead of the current $20 data plan. The prices are the same no matter who buys one. I will be getting the 16GB and either selling or handing down my current iPhone. So basically my bill will go up $10. I can live with that since I will have 3G and GPS! :)

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

From what we can tell so far you can expect to get a new iPhone for $199. AT&T will want to readjust your contract to it goes for two years from the time you get your new phone.

AT&T is also moving the iPhone from it's special pricing to the standard Smartphone pricing plan. This means your data plan will move from $20 to $30, and it looks like you will have to add a txt messaging plan as well. You can get 200 txt's per month for $5, 1,500 txts for $15, or unlimited for $20. It is not really clear yet that you will have to choose a new text plan, but it sure sounds like you will.

That means you can expect a $10-$15 increase in your costs per month - plus taxes.

The good news is that there will be a string market for the older iPhones since they can be easily unlocked, and resold. People seem to be selling them for around $500 on eBay, if they are in good condition and unlocked.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Have you verified that 3G is available in your area?

5. 103734 Guest

well according to the email to AT&T the prices for people who are not eligible for a upgrade will have to pay a different/higher price. I think we are screwed.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I'm pretty sure that is talking about people who are mid-contract with other subsidized phones (ie anything BUT an iPhone). When you bought your iPhone, you agreed to a 24 month contract, but AT&T didn't subsidize the cost of the phone, so you should be eligible to upgrade at the $199 price.

Of course next year, when the next iPhone comes out, I think we could all be stuck, because the iPhone's we buy now are going to be subsidized, so next year we won't be eligible...

7. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Read it again. It states that CURRENT 2G iPhone owners WILL be elgible for upgrade regardless of service tenure.

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Pretty much what the email said was that if you have been a good customer, and have paid your bills on time, and haven't tried to "screw them over" they will allow you to upgrade without an ETF.

9. catfish743 thread starter macrumors 6502

catfish743

It looks like I shall be selling my old one and getting a new one, AND Making a profit or atleast meeting even. Or giving the phone to my brother or something. I could always keep it and hack it to use as an iPod. Who knows. Thanks for the in put