Question from an iPhone 2G user wanting to upgrade..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nzc, Oct 27, 2011.

1. nzc macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm still stuck on my iphone 2G, but it's starting to break down, no my vibration, battery dies before the day is over etc...

As I'm not a heavy user of my iphone (email, cal, phone, text, browsing... and don't play any games). I am considering either getting the 3GS or the 4 8GB.
    Now I am aware that the 4 has a better screen and camera (which I don't necessarily need), but is also £100 more expensive, I was wondering whether you guys could comment on the performance and battery performance difference under iOS5 of the two?

Which device would you go for?

Thanks very much in advance

nzc

2. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Go for the 4. Heck, go for the 4S. Remember, you're gonna be stuck with this phone for 2/3 more years. I always pick the best possible phone when i have to upgrade to ensure i have support from Apple as well as all the latest features.

But if that's not important then the 3GS will do fine. I would go with the 4 though because the 3GS is likely to be phased out next year when they introduce a new iPhone. Which means no more software updates.

3. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I would pick the 4 only for the fact that there is a good chance that iOS 5 is the last OS update for the 3GS (meaning I don't believe it will get iOS 6). Where I iphone 4 should be supported for another year or two at least.

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

The 3GS may be capable of iOS 6, or at least some part of it. According to Apple's web site:
    Since the 3GS is now shipping with iOS 5 that would mean iOS 6 may be available for it.

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

As mentioned above, I would go with the Iphone 4 to assure that you'll be able to upgrade the iOS in a couple of years. Also, once you've looked at the screen on an iPhone 4 (or iPhone 4S), you'll wander how you ever lived without a Retina display before. Yes, the display is that good.

Hands-down, I'd go with the iPhone 4.

6. nzc thread starter macrumors newbie