question from future buyer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by futuremacuser, May 1, 2011.

1. futuremacuser macrumors newbie

I am looking to switch from windows and buy a macbook pro in the near future and have read many of these threads already. I don't know as much about computers as most of you do, so I thought I'd ask a few questions. I'm thinking about getting the base 13". I currently have a 2008 14" toshiba satellite (processor Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 / 2.0 GHz, 4GB RAM, and only using about half of my 250 GB), so I don't think going down to at 13" would be much of a problem.

Here's what I'd use it for...I'm a teacher so it would be my work computer. I often work with a few programs open (word, powerpoint, my smartboard software, internet browsers, itunes), so I'd like something that can easily work that.

I also recently got a dslr camera and am storing many of those RAW images on my HD. I'd like something that would easily be able to convert those images into jpeg so I can email them, make photo books etc. From what I've read, that is too much for iphoto to handle and I'd need Apeture?

Will the base 13" i5 be ok for what I use it for? (one thing I don't do is play games)

Sorry if I sound too much like a novice and thanks in advance for your help!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

From what you're saying, the 13'' will handle all you're throwing at it and brush it off and beg for more.

You'll be just fine, though iPhoto really isn't all that good with RAW files. Aperture would indeed be a much better option.

3. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I recently switched from a windows laptop to the macbook pro. I went with the 13" base model and never looked back.

I am using Word, PowerPoint and Excel without any difficulties with the windows versions at work. I also bought iWork and use that more for personal stuff since I like those programs better and they seem to be a lot more flexible. After trying those with some of the work documents the first two week I had the mac, I conceded and got the Home & Student Office:mac, just for the compatibility issues with Word and Excel.

I am also the membership chairman for a club within my company and I am using Bento4 to keep track of all the members. It's working out great.

As for the photos, why store them in RAW, you're camera should be able to save them in jpeg by itself. RAW just takes up so much space. In any case, I think Aperture might be the better option for you. iPhoto is good, but from what you described Aperture would be the better choice.

Not a big gamer here and the Mac has kept up flawlessly with what I use it for.

4. futuremacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Another teacher at school has a MacAir and I am amazed at how light and thin it is, but I think I'd need more hard drive space. I know I can upgrade to more memory or get an external hard drive, but that could get pricey.

About the RAW images, I have a canon and have just been using the software that came with the camera to move the photos from the camera to my computer. It just saves them as raw automatically--I haven't had it too long so I don't know if there is some way to change the settings so it's not importing them as RAW.

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

If you are going to get a MacBook go with the 13in and maybe have a big LCD screen at home so that you can plug into. I like the 15in because you get an audio in/out and larger screen for viewing photos (sorta like an 8x10 size). If you use them at school and want to incorporate it with your lessons, pick up a Display port adapter.

I would try out Lightroom and Aperture 3 free trial before buying. Both you can get with your teacher discount for under $100. What's different in the photo books with iPhoto and Aperture is that the quality is a little better and you have more control on where you can place the photos. Down side in Aperture is that there are no frames with photo book so you can't tell exactly how far you can type words. I just did a photo book and most of my words were covered in the crease of the pages.

If you like shooting RAW, Get a external drive. You really need one because Aperture is a power hog. Both Lightroom and Aperture are great tools to use. iPhoto has its limits but works too. 4GB of RAM is a good start. You can always add more later. Cheaper too.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-compare.html

6. futuremacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

So now I'm torn. I had pretty much decided to get the base 13" until I stopped by best buy today and saw the difference in how the screen looks between the 13" and the 15". I love the way the 15" looks! Guess I will have to postpone buying until I can save up for the bigger computer.

Thanks for all of your help!