Question from new Mac Pro owner...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ephraim909, Aug 11, 2007.

1. ephraim909 macrumors member

My new 2.66 Quad mac pro is arriving next week. This machine will be used for graphic work and audio production. I already know for sure that I am going to need more FireWire 400 and USB ports for keyboards and audio interfaces and things. I am assuming that the best way to add these is with new PCI cards. I was curious if this assumption is right and if anyone had suggestions for certain brands or particular cards. I am not completely sure how many more ports I will need. Probably 3 or 4 USB and 1 or 2 FireWires. Also, are these cards really as easy as they seem to install, just kind of plug and play? Thanks for all the help and I'm sure there will be plenty more questions where this came from.

Mikal

2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I got a 7 port belkin powered USB 2.0 hub and its worked great. As for firewire, not sure exactly. I presume you can just install a card and it'll work. Why can't you daisy chain your firewire decides, if I can ask.

3. ephraim909 thread starter macrumors member

I am trying to avoid using any of the ports on the front permanently just for aesthetic reasons and I will be using a wired keyboard and mouse. As far as FireWire goes, I have a Tascam 1884 interface, iSight, and myBook external drive. I don't believe there is any way for me to chain those, especially the interface. Also, is there any benefit or detriment to using a hub as opposed to a card, such as speed or anything?

4. vtprinz macrumors 6502

try osxaudio.com, great source for this sort of question.

5. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Good because if you hook up a firewire hub in the back you CAN'T use the front firewire ports. They overload and your system will crash.

6. Tenex macrumors newbie

There shouldn't be assuming the hub is powered adequately, but my experience is that my Nano would fail to connect and sync about 40-50% of the time from a hub. Connected directly to my iMac its fine every time. Oddly other USB peripherals don't seem as choosy.

7. ephraim909 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I also forgot about the "hub" on my Cinema Display so I will be able to plug cameras and my iPhone to that. I am thinking about getting this card from OWC.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet Technology/FWUSB2E/

It has the FireWire and USB ports on one card. Anyone have any opinions on this card or this manufacturer in general? Thanks again for all the help.

Mikal

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

the benefit of adding the card is that you don't have all of the information running on one stream of FW. since you will be working with audio devices, i would suggest going this route rather than using a hub.

9. ephraim909 thread starter macrumors member

Well barring any horrible revelations in the next couple of days, I think I am going to go with the Sonnet Tango Express card. I found it at MacMall for about $30 cheaper than OWC. I've never installed any PCI cards before. I assume they are pretty much just plug and play. Also, the card says that it does not support "deep sleep." I think this is talking about the "hibernation" mode rather than just the normal sleep. Are these assumptions correct? Thanks again.

Mikal

10. termina3 macrumors 65816

Plug and play + screws + drivers (sometimes)

can't answer your second question

11. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

No, incorrect. The mac computers don't have hibernation. Deep sleep is sleep. That is a problem with those cards is the mac can't sleep. Deal breaker if you ask me. Just get a firewire hub. I got the belkin. Has like 8 ports on it and was only like $40. Works great.

12. termina3 macrumors 65816

Agreed. Sleep is the best thing about Macs when you're not using them.

13. ephraim909 thread starter macrumors member

So if I installed this card, what would happen when I choose "Sleep" under the -Menu? This computer will be in my studio and not in my bedroom or somewhere where making noises at night would be a problem. Is there any danger to the computer itself by not being able to go into deep sleep mode?

14. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Not exactly true. There are actually two sleep modes for Mac's. Everyone is familiar with "Sleep," but there is also "Safe Sleep" mode. You can read about it hear (and elsewhere):

http://brockwoolf.com/safe-sleep-guide-for-mac-os-x

My guess is that the card supports "Sleep" mode, but not "Safe Sleep," but I would need to see the advertisement and/or talk with the company directly to confirm. I would think there is a PCI card that will work just fine, but I haven't researched the options. Keep us posted!

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The downside to hubs though is there is a/v gear that doesn't play nice if the FW bus is crowded and the only way to add another bus is w/a card.

I've been using a Sonnet Tango FW400/USB2.0 card in my G4 Mac tower for 3-4 months w/o a problem.

Lethal

16. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I too went for the Belkin 7 port powered hub ... no problems .. :)

17. ephraim909 thread starter macrumors member

When you say without a problem, what exactly are you referring to? How are the sleep issues? I definitley want to stay away from hubs if possible because of the nature of the beast.

18. ephraim909 thread starter macrumors member

I would really like to get this ordered ASAP. Is there any chance of the sleep issue being resolved in a future software update or is this a hardware-based problem? I don't really think it would be that big of a deal to me in all actuality, but I guess I will just have to wait and see.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

This got me to thinking and I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I put that machine to sleep. So I tried it out and I couldn't wake it up. Reading on Sonnet's website it doesn't sound like it's something they could fix w/an update or anything like that.

Lethal

20. ephraim909 thread starter macrumors member

Are there any cards that allow sleeping or is it a universal problem? I really would like to add the extra ports so I don't have to reach behind the Mac Pro every 5 minutes. Like I said though, I'm trying to stay away from hubs. Maybe I am just too picky.

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That I do not know. An easy fix is just to not put the machine into sleep mode.

Lethal

22. ephraim909 thread starter macrumors member

I went ahead and ordered the Sonnet Tango Express. I guess I will just have to deal with the sleep issue. I have noticed that I hardly ever put this machine to sleep anyways, so I don't see it being much of a problem.