Question: Hard Drive, Backing up & Security

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tshandy, Mar 10, 2010.

1. tshandy macrumors newbie

tshandy

I've searched the archives and can't find an answer--this might be the dumbest question ever.

I replaced the hard drive in 2006 Macbook and before doing so, backed it up.
    I've installed the new drive and everything's fine. I destroyed the old drive because I didn't want people to have access to the usual stuff--cc#s, bank accounts, emails etc. You know, all the stuff that you think you deleted but could be recovered with forensic software.

Here's my question--when you transfer/back up data onto a brand new drive, does it also deposit old information you thought you deleted? I.e., are there emails I deleted 3 years ago deeply buried in the backup? Could forensic software retrieve "lost" data from a backup?

Thanks.

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Lets just say someone did find your HD.....why would they go through all the trouble of getting forensic software to recover your feww cc's and other info? Seriously, I wouldnt worry THAT much. Do a couple passes in disc utility you'll be fine...I doubt anyone would find you hd, take it, use software just to take a few sheckles from your bank account....stop watching crime shows....

3. tshandy thread starter macrumors newbie

tshandy

That's not my question ... the old hard drive has been destroyed.

I just want to know if the backup will deposit EVERYTHING onto my new hard drive.

The reason I'm asking is that my son is taking this computer on a long trip and if the computer is lost/destroyed/stolen it won't cause either of us to lose any sleep.

Thanks anyways.

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Oh, I mis-read. If you did a direct clone it should have everything that was on the old HD, I dont see how things that were deleted could show up on the new one.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020