Question: how do I log in as someone else

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sososowhat, Nov 3, 2007.

1. sososowhat macrumors 6502

I'm the machine administrator & owner. I'd like to log into a user account on my machine for which I don't have the password. I know how to reset that password, but I don't want evidence of my snooping. Can I either use some master password to login as that user, or temporarily change their password & reset it to what it was?

btw: I have legitimate reasons for wanting to do this. It's not an ethical question.

Thanks,

-soso

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

so you want to hack

i would use a second machine and then SSH tunnel right into the computer then search the hard drive for that login name

otherwise, no master password

3. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

You got me to thinking, so on all my daughters users folders, I used "get info" and added me as having read only privileges. I looked around at everything in her folders, then removed my privileges.

4. sososowhat thread starter macrumors 6502

That does sound hackey. Shouldn't I be able to do this from my own machine. From a shell as root I could "su", right? But how can I then totally log into their graphical environment, with their history, etc? Basically I want to use super-user privilege to log in as them without using their password. Can this be easily done?

5. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

can't be done
    either use the terminal or
    use a linux live cd and crack their password with that, but that may take a long time like 3 hours todo depends on length