Question: How do you find largest files and folders when freeing up disk space?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rsmudge, Aug 19, 2010.

1. rsmudge macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'm an application developer thinking of writing a small utility to help you clean up your disk when it gets full. The idea is to present the largest files and folders in your home directory along with the last time they were opened.

I have a script to do this and I've found it useful for myself. Before I put a fancy GUI on it, I'd like to ask:

How do you do this now?

If there is no overwhelmingly popular and easy way to do this now, I'll likely press forward with the application. If you're interested in beta testing, PM me.

-- Raphael

2. ianray macrumors 6502

Hi! I use Disk Inventory X (http://www.derlien.com/). The visualisation method, using treemaps, is particularly impressive :)

3. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

You're already up against some competition.
    DaisyDisk
    OmniDiskSweeper
    WhatSize
    To name a few.

4. rsmudge thread starter macrumors newbie

:) Actually WhatSize is pretty close to what I would have built and I didn't find it when searching. Thanks for the help. Back to the drawing board (but not a bad thing).

5. DawnFrost macrumors newbie

DawnFrost

If you are creating a program to clean up disk space, will it be similar to AppDelete, AppCleaner and/or CleanMyMac?

6. rsmudge thread starter macrumors newbie

My intent was to see if such a program existed. I did a few google searches and wasn't able to find much (I probably should have checked versiontracker.com and macupdate.com).

Thanks to posting here, I learned (from you and others) that many viable options exist. I have no problem creating something that already exists, if I know I can do better. From looking at some of these, I don't see an unmet need.

I'll keep my eyes out for something I can help the mac community with. When that problem worth solving arises, I'll be back, we'll discuss it, and maybe I can turn out some great software for you.

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

That would be awesome! We always need more software.

8. DawnFrost macrumors newbie

DawnFrost