Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsmudge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Washington, DC
Hi everyone,
I'm an application developer thinking of writing a small utility to help you clean up your disk when it gets full. The idea is to present the largest files and folders in your home directory along with the last time they were opened.

I have a script to do this and I've found it useful for myself. Before I put a fancy GUI on it, I'd like to ask:

How do you do this now?

If there is no overwhelmingly popular and easy way to do this now, I'll likely press forward with the application. If you're interested in beta testing, PM me.

-- Raphael

rsmudge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Washington, DC
If you are creating a program to clean up disk space, will it be similar to AppDelete, AppCleaner and/or CleanMyMac?

My intent was to see if such a program existed. I did a few google searches and wasn't able to find much (I probably should have checked versiontracker.com and macupdate.com).

Thanks to posting here, I learned (from you and others) that many viable options exist. I have no problem creating something that already exists, if I know I can do better. From looking at some of these, I don't see an unmet need.

I'll keep my eyes out for something I can help the mac community with. When that problem worth solving arises, I'll be back, we'll discuss it, and maybe I can turn out some great software for you.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I'll keep my eyes out for something I can help the mac community with. When that problem worth solving arises, I'll be back, we'll discuss it, and maybe I can turn out some great software for you.

That would be awesome! We always need more software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.