Question: how to tweak Spotlight?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by noetus, Mar 21, 2008.

1. noetus macrumors member

A noob question from a recent Windows --> Mac convert.

I am surprised to open the Spotlight Preferences (this on Leopard) and see such a basic array of options - I can't select which volumes to index, for example, which is easy in Windows Search.

I have a Windows shared volume that is basically on my desktop all the time (it's a Fusion share through local host) and ALL my data is on there. I don't like relying on Windows Search and I'd like Spotlight to index that volume. It says on a spec sheet for Leopard 10.5 that you can do this. But I don't know how.

Also, I would like to be able to search emails on email clients other than the built-in Mail (I use Thunderbird). Whenever I search for emails nothing comes up from the Thunderbird client, it's all Mail. Hrmph.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I believe Spotlight will only index and search shared Mac volumes over AFP, not Windows volumes over SMB.

It's up to third-party developers to write plugins for Spotlight to understand files it doesn't natively support. Also, if Thunderbird stores its messages in a monolithic database Spotlight will not be able to index them (unless they pull some Address Book-style tomfoolery, and I'm not sure if third party devs can do that).

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

You get to decide which volumes NOT to index.