QUESTION: how to unjailbreak and keep existing data(SMS, game data, and etc)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tongteh, Feb 19, 2011.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

First, I tried doing a quick search on the related issues, but all i got is outdated info and information not exactly what i want.

Senario:
    - I want to jailbreak my iPhone 4
    - I am only jailbreaking my iPhone for the themes and looks. I intent to support apps development.
    - I have also the intention to un-jailbreak in the future(2 or 3months).

I want to know if it's possible that when i un-jailbreak it in the future I could get all my SMS, game data, and etc back without leaving a trace that I have jailbroken my iPhone before?

All that i know is that if i jailbreak it today, I will only be able to restore it to today's backup data. Meaning losing everything during the jailbreak period, but is there a way to keep them?

Thanks all.

2. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Back Up your Files before you Restore it

That should unjailbreak your iPhone and give you the chance to re sync all previous data

3. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

I just read somewhere that if i backup and restore it, i will also restore residues from jailbreaking. Like tweak that has been done to winterboard and such would carry forward when you restore to unjailbreak it.

so there's really no way to restore, keep data and not have any jailbreaking residue?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Negative. Honestly, any of the JBing garbage left behind shouldn't screw up your restore and won't take up much room. I've never had an issue before but to be safe I suppose you could uninstall all your apps/tweaks in Cydia, backup then restore from backup.

5. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Not entirely true. I've restored a jail broken backup to a nonjailbroken phone and seen remainders. One that comes to mind is when I changed my carrier name, though not like that hurt the restore at all.

7. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Any changes to the status bar will likely be carried forward.

Make sure you have backed up the original settings/files of the status bar and restore them before finally doing a backup prior to restore from the said backup.

8. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

sounds like a good idea. Do you know what else usually gets carried forward? Also where can i find the original settings/files? the directory?