Question if I buy the iPhone now...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Branskins, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Branskins macrumors 65816

There are rumors going around that a 32gb iPhone will be announced next month. I really want to get the 8GB/16GB iPhone for the holidays. Now if I buy them now and a new one is announced next month, how would ATT handle this? Would I be able to turn the phone in and wait for the new ones (especially if the price drops 100?). I remembering hearing something about being able to turn the iPhone in after 30 days, but I do not really understand how this works!

Thanks

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you buy the phone now, you keep the phone for the duration of your contract unless you want to pay the unsubsidized price.

3. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

So if the phone drops 100 dollars in the next month, I am basically screwed?

4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Nope.

If they drop the price it's your own fault for not waiting.

And if they never drop the price then it's your own fault for not buying.

No one is getting screwed here. :D

Which is why I hate the waiting game and say BUY NOW!

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm pretty sure that if you get it now you'll be stuck with it. So I'd wait until january just in case.

6. ukmall macrumors newbie

I agree with ditzy

[​IMG]

7. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

Does the term 'delayed gratification' mean anything? Unless you have no phone, we're only talking one month to see if something new is updated at macworld... That's what I'm doing. Good things come to those who wait. ;-)

8. descartes macrumors 6502

there is always something better around the corner. hvr, since we are close to january, unless you need a phone, you might as well wait it out.

9. Turmoil macrumors regular

I bought a 1st generation 2G I-phone about a month before the 3G phones came out (I broke my old phone and needed a phone now) - when the 3G phones were released they offered people that bought the old phone w/in 60 days to return the phone and get a 3G at the new price - whether they will do the same in the future, it's hard to say.

10. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

What about:
    30-day trial period
    AT&T is allowing iPhone 3G hopefuls a 30-day trial period. Anytime within the first 30-days of the iPhone 3G’s activation, the customer can return the handset and have their service immediately terminated. Contract termination within 30 days will not incur an ETF (Early Termination Fee), but after day 30, you’ll be paying through the nose to cancel your iPhone plan.

If you cancel on or before the 30th day of iPhone 3G activation, you must return the iPhone 3G handset. If you cancel after that magical 30-day mark, you’ll be allowed to keep the iPhone 3G handset, but keep in mind that you’ll be paying a hefty ETF

Within 30 days we should know if the new iPhone is coming out. Wouldn't I be able to terminate the phone if they announce it and then just wait for the new one to come out?

It seems kind of silly for Apple to announce this a few days after Christmas when a lot of people could be potentially getting the phone.

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

No. You pay the subsidy once. The trial period is for the service, not the phone. They won't grant you a new contract. Stop trying to figure out how to beat the system and just buy the phone when you're happy with what it is.

It also seemed kinda silly for Apple to release new iPods on the day after John Doe bought his. John will hopefully learn to do some research next time and buy after the new model comes out if he needs the latest and greatest.

You need to understand that the policies for the iPhone are just like every other phone. If I get one phone and decide that I don't like it, I cannot be returning phones for refund every thirty days for new ones at the subsidized price.

12. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Ya my research shows that 5 months after January a NEW iPhone is suppose to be announced. When does this cycle end?

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

It ends when you buy one and suck up the fact that it will soon be outdated.

14. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

That is true I guess. Now I really don't know what to do =/

15. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

I'm gonna wait until January myself.

But isn't there a 14 day policy for apple hardware? Or does that not apply to iPhones?

I think for the 30 day thing, you have to pay a restocking fee

16. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I doubt they will do that for this one. The new phone which would come out wouldn't be much different from the previous 3G. I assume Apple was also trying to avoid the public relations fiasco which happened with the original one (I'm not saying I agree with it, just saying a lot of people WERE mad).

17. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay at this point, the only problem for me is whether waiting for 100 bucks off is worth it. I could wait until Macworld only to find out that the 32gb isn't ready for an immediate release.

My problem is not that I want the 32gb. I will still use my ipod for that (80gb ipod). I only want to download apps and podcasts onto the iphone, so I do not think I really need the 32gb.

The 16 gb is sounding good, but the 8gb would also be perfect enough for apps.

18. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay I want to an ATT dealer today (I guess they are not directly owned by ATT). They did not have any iPhones. I also explained the situation that my mother's phone is up for an upgrade and mine isn't. He said it is illegal to purchase the phone using her upgrade and transferring my SIM to the iPhone so that it becomes mine!

I had no idea this was illegal and I thought quite a few people did this. Does ATT not want current customers to get the iPhone?

19. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

The AT&T dealer has no idea what they are talking about. Your mother could get an iPhone with her upgrade, get everything activated and THEN you would take both phones to the real At&T store (both of you would have to go) and they would do a SIM switch- they need to do it to switch the IMEI's

20. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you!

He is also tried to tell me to get the Samsung Eternity, calling it the iphone killer =/

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

my friend had that. it was crap compared to the iphone and the app store. most of the other touchscreen phones out there have sucky touchscreens, such as the LG Dare or VU.

22. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

I have to ask, is the number of iPhone haters increasing? He asked me why I wanted it, and then said something along the lines of being cool...

I am getting frustrated with people haha. I want the iPhone because I want it... not because other people have it! Grr!!

23. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

So yeah I would recommend going to a legitimate AT&T store

24. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

Actually it's the other way around for me. I've used it, and although it's a very cool device, I don't want an iPhone...... yet everytime I'm comparing phones, sales associates try to sell me an iPhone. LOL.

25. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

The backlash against Apple is beginning, I sense. I get the same comments when I talk about my Apple products.