Question - If I want a new phone next year

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwlbel, Sep 29, 2016.

1. jwlbel macrumors regular

I did the $650 trade in with AT&T and got a 7 plus. I know to get the full $650 credit I have to keep my 7 plus for 2 years. So my question is.... If I want a new phone next year, can I use my 7 plus next year as a trade in with the Apple Upgrade Program and continue to pay for the 7 Plus on my AT&T bill even though I turned it into Apple. Or I was thinking, I still have the old unlimited plan and I can add another line for $9.99 and could I do that and get a new iPhone but never use it on the new "dummy" line. I know I would be paying for 2 phones either way if I want to get the full $650 credit for the iPhone 6 I just turned in. Or will I have to pay full price next year and continue to pay for 24 months for the 7 Plus I just got

2. 1981d macrumors 6502

I was wondering about this as well. If I bought the 8+ full price, could I just put the sim from my 7+ in it and sell the 7+? As long as the line is active, does ATT care what phone is on there? The 7+ would still be locked to ATT, but another ATT customer could buy it I believe.

I mean, if my 7+ was stolen, I would presumably keep making the payments on it and just get another phone, right? And what if I had a warranty replacement? I guess I'm just not sure how ATT would keep track of things. And if I am still making payments, they should still be applying credits

3. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Brandonjr36

Honestly you should just be able to buy an 8+ out right then sell the 7+ and still get the credits from the 7, then you wouldn't be paying much for the 8 either since you could probably sell the 7 for atleast $500

4. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

You should also have the option of paying off any remaining balance owed on the 7. Then you're free to do as you like, including having it unlocked.

5. jwlbel thread starter macrumors regular

It is my understanding that if I pay it off early I lose the monthly ($650) credits for my trade in of my iPhone 6. I have to continue paying off the 7 plus over 24 months to continue receiving the $650 trade in total.

6. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Brandonjr36

I think the way it works is if they took off $25 this month and if you wanted a new phone after this month you would then owe $625, so basically goes down $25 a month. I'm not sure how much they are exactly a month tho.