Question If You Use an FM Transmitter in Your Car:

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by HappyDude20, Sep 8, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

So if you use an Fm Transmitter in your car to hook up your Touch to listen to music, i'm wondering...

...Do you connect you iPod before or after turning on the car? Do you connect your FM transmitter itself before or after turning on the car?

I ask because when I had the First Gen Touch back in the day and used an FM transmitter the cigarette lighter port suddenly stopped working. Originally I thought the FM transmitter messed up the port but luckily it only f*cked up the fuse in the car, which was easily replaced for a few bucks.

Now that i've got the 2G touch was wondering what other's routine concerning using their FM transmitter was...

:D

2. Oman macrumors regular

You should always have your FM Transmitter unplugged when you turn on your car, especially if your lighter only works when your car is turned on. I have two lighters in my car, one that is always on and one that powers on with the car. The one that powers on with the car is the only one I had to replce the fuse for because I use to leave my lighter charger plugged in at all times. Think of this way, when you turn your car on and it flips the power on for the lighter, you are essentially creating a power surge to your device thats plugged in the lighter. I just made it a habit to unplug my charger when I turn off the car. I have an AUX port so I don't use a FM Transmitter but the principle here still applies.