Question in reguards to warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cramazing, Apr 19, 2013.

1. cramazing macrumors 6502

If a product is brand new and sealed, and i check the warranty for service, why does it have a purchase date and date already in place?

does the warranty start as soon as someone buys the laptop of the shelve or does it start when its turned on?

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Warranty is usually from the date of purchase.

I say usually, because I think if you buy an open-box deal from a retailer such as BestBuy, the date is reset to your purchase date. I'm not 100% sure, though.

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

As they have no idea when it was turned on and this would be an odd way of doing warranty, I can tell you 100% it's from the purchase date.

----------

Thats still a purchase date though. So pretty much it's *always from the purchase date.

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I'm not certain that this is automatic. I've read reports of having to email/fax in proof of purchase and have Apple reset it manually.

5. gmikesell macrumors regular

Regarding open box buys from Best Buy, the registration will still show from the original purchase data. It's completely hit or miss, if Apple will roll the date for ya. As can be seen in other threads on this issue, for some, Apple will, for others, they just plain won't. I was one of those that they wouldn't budge for.

6. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Option 1:
    The warranty will start on date of purchase of the serial number is registered through the system, like at an apple store when they scan the UPC and then the SN.

Option 2:
    The warranty will start the day you turn it on and set up Lion/ML. The activation portion of the set up will activate the SN.

Option 3:
    If you buy an open box item, if the item is repurchased within 60 days of the original purchase/open date the retailer can reset the warranty to your date of purchase, this can only be done by the retailer and needs to be done within the 60 day window.

Option 4:
    The Mac is sitting sealed in inventory for an extended period of time. The warranty will AUTOMATICALLY start after a set period of time from the date of assembly, it's usually a year. So for example if you buy a sealed Mac from a store right now that has Lion on it, since we're in the days of ML, the warranty will have already started. To solve this, call AppleCare and have them reset it.

How do I know this? I work retail and sell Mac products every day.