Question: Intego VirusBarrier

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bern, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I need to install a reliable AV program because I always exchange files with PC using clients. I don't want to use Norton's because it's annoying and a hog so have been considering Intego VirusBarrier instead. I have Leopard.

I'd appreciate anyone's honest view (useful views not posts about not having to use anti-virus software).

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Intego is good, its pretty quick, personally I've found it crashes on Turbo mode but normal is still quite quick. I haven't used it for a while as "Macs don't have viruses", but given this it might be worth shelling out (it also recommends Intego).

Sophos, Clam XAV and Virex are all really slow, I haven't tried Norton, but I'm sure it sucks.

EDIT: All of these have been used under Tiger, I have no idea about performance under Leopard.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I guess it all depends on your reasoning for using AV software, and what types of files you're sharing with PC users: If you're concerned about passing on virus ridden files to other PC users that you get from others, then it's probably a good idea to get some AV software in there. Unfortunately (for this instance) the AV market for OSX is far, far smaller than that for Windows so the products aren't as mature, but VirusBarrier is probably among the best there is. It should work fine with Leopard as long as you install the latest version (10.4.4)