Question is the new ipad worth upgrading from ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Oct 23, 2012.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Anybody think it is worth paying for the upgrade from the 2? I can see why it's not for the latest one but...

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

It was the the 3rd Gen, so even more so now!

Retina display makes all the difference.

3. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Retina really does make a difference on the iPad, even more so than on the iPhone, where it was a revelation. Everything else is secondary. The iPad is a screen, the chips and what-not are irrelevant. There's no point upgrading from a 3rd Gen, but it is absolutely without a doubt worth upgrading from the first two to either of the newer ones.

4. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Thanks

I hear text on safari is a big improvement when zooming?

5. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

6. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

The whole point of retina is to make the pixels so small that you can't see them. That means text looks incredible, almost like print. It's like holding a glowing piece of paper, only heavier. Ok, a glowing telephone directory...

The difference is night and day. You see it with text more than anything else, and months later I'm still in awe of it. I'll never buy anything without retina again.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think Retina is nice, but some of the comments here are overblown. The only way you will know for sure is looking at both of them (iPad 2 and 3/4) side by side. When I did, I could tell the difference, but it wasn't like OMG, the iPad 2 it TERRIBLE. The iPad 2 was fine. The iPad 3 looked a little bit better. I think that part of the confusion is that despite being twice the resolution, everything looks the same size on both versions. One looks sharper, but the other one doesn't look THAT bad. It actually looks great.

I recall the word "magical" being used to describe it when it was first launched. So since nothing about it has changed since it launched, I can't understand how it went from amazing, magical and awesome to CRAP just because Retina came out. Its too big of a swing. It may be for you as well if you see them side by side and say "OMG, I could never go back to that crappy iPad 2 screen". However, I doubt most people would react that way. Me, I think the iPad 2 looks pretty good.