Question: Length of all videos in a folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JADWil, Sep 4, 2014.

1. JADWil macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    Sorry if this is not the place to post my question, but I didn't know where else to post it.

Anyways, I have a folder that has around a 100 videos, each has a different length, and I would like to see how long are they all together. So is there anyway that I figure that out quickly?? I need to know how long they are, and I really don't want to look at each one individually

Thanks

2. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

If they are of a similar type then you may be able to get a pretty good estimate by the file size.

3. Gregg2, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

Gregg2 macrumors 603

Highlight the files, then go to Edit(or is it File?) > Get Info

Now hold down the Option key. Get Info changes to Show Inspector. It will show you the total size.

OOps! read that incorrectly. But size does matter, sometimes. :eek:

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Use a program like VLC player and copy all the files to a playlist. It might give you a total run time for all the videos.

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

This is very smart.

6. JADWil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all, I actually used this:

I just added the size of the longest 5 videos and divided their size by their length then multiplied it by the size of all the videos. that should be very close to their total length…. I have 227hrs of medical videos to watch :S it's going to be hectic!!

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The only possible snag here is that if the videos all use different encryption or bitrates, your calculation will be off.

8. JADWil thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm.. I honestly tried to play around with VLC like you said, it wouldn't give me a total time. I added the videos to a playlist, I also added them to VLC library, but nothing!! Is there a way to make VLC show me the total time??

9. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

Try this :

Code:
    -- time the following operation:
    --set start_time to (time of (current date)) -- start timing

set this_folder to (choose folder with prompt "Pick the folder containing the video files to process:") as string

set video_ext_list to {"3g2", "3gp", "3gp2", "3gpp", "3mm", "60d", "aep", "ajp", "amv", "asf", "asx", "avb", "avi", "avs", "bik", "bix", "box", "byu", "cvc", "dce", "dif", "dir", "divx", "dv", "dvr-ms", "dxr", "eye", "fcp", "flc", "fli", "flv", "flx", "gl", "grasp", "gvi", "gvp", "ifo", "imovieproject", "ivf", "ivs", "izz", "izzy", "lsf", "lsx", "m1v", "m2v", "m4e", "m4u", "m4v", "mjp", "mkv", "moov", "mov", "movie", "mp4", "mpe", "mpeg", "mpg", "mpv2", "msh", "mswmm", "mvb", "mvc", "nvc", "ogm", "omf", "prproj", "prx", "qt", "qtch", "rm", "rmvb", "rp", "rts", "sbk", "scm", "smil", "smv", "spl", "srt", "ssm", "svi", "swf", "swi", "tivo", "ts", "vdo", "vf", "vfw", "vid", "viewlet", "viv", "vivo", "vob", "vro", "wm", "wmd", "wmv", "wmx", "wvx", "yuv"}

tell application "Finder"
    	set these_files to ((files of folder this_folder whose name extension is in video_ext_list) as alias list)
    end tell

set filesCount to count of these_files

set total_duration_of_files_in_seconds to ""
    set files_with_no_duration to 0

repeat with i from 1 to filesCount
    	set this_file to (item i of my these_files)
    	set this_info to info for this_file
    	if visible of this_info is true and alias of this_info is false then
    		-- insert actions here for: this_file
    		set this_file_duration_in_seconds to do shell script "mdls -name kMDItemDurationSeconds -raw -nullMarker 0 " & quoted form of POSIX path of this_file
    		if this_file_duration_in_seconds is not 0 then
    			set total_duration_of_files_in_seconds to total_duration_of_files_in_seconds + this_file_duration_in_seconds
    		else
    			set files_with_no_duration to files_with_no_duration + 1
    		end if
    	end if
    end repeat

set total_duration_in_hms to do shell script " echo " & total_duration_of_files_in_seconds & " | awk '{printf \"%03d:%02d:%02d\",$0/3600,$0%3600/60,$0%60}'"

(*
    set end_time to (time of (current date)) -- stop timing.
    set elapsed_time to end_time - start_time

log "2. elapsed_time is is " & elapsed_time & " seconds."
    *)

display dialog "Files processed : " & (count of these_files) & return & "Files without duration : " & files_with_no_duration & return & "Total duration of " & (count of these_files) - files_with_no_duration & " files in h:m:s : " & total_duration_in_hms with title "Length of all videos in a folder" buttons {"OK"} default button 1

Note : Do not use the script on a folder with hundreds or more files. For your purpose of about 100 files it should be ok.

Attached Files:

10. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Oh, you want total time of ALL files. I thought you want total time of EACH file.