Question - Macbook Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeme, Jun 30, 2009.

1. jeme macrumors regular

Newbie question here - what specifically is a Macbook Collector's edition, I frequently see people refer to them? Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No such animal.

It is what some people are calling the unibody MacBook, in order to make themselves feel special.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Officially, there's no such thing. In fact I've never even heard of one. What are you talking about?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is a "joke"

Refers to the 'discontinued' or 'orphaned' model when the updates came out

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It is what some people like to call the original aluminum MacBook. It's their way of making themselves feel better about having an outdated computer..

6. jeme thread starter macrumors regular

Some people refer to their computers as MacBook collector editions - by reading the answers I feel silly asking the question - got it....

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

AKA Dust Collector's Edition.

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yah, people try to give it special names cuz they feel bad about jumping the gun and getting the newest macbook asap. Besides, collectors stuff is usually worth more. Those seem to losing value quite fast.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

^^ Considering the new ones came out like 8 months after the last ones, I don't think it is really jumping the gun. These folks are early adopter because of their needs.

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Smart buyers dont get 1st gen anything. B/c they tend to have many bugs that are fixed on a next revision. Just like SL, I dont plan on touching that thing for a while after it comes out. B/c i know, a few hours after its out MR will be flooded with problems and they all have to deal with the bugs until the next update.

11. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I got the first Penryn MBP which turned out to be the last "classic" MBP. Last ever Apple laptop with DVI-D and a matte screen :D

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

SW and HW releases are not the same. We are not discussing bugs here, we are talking about design decisions (including/excluding HW components). So early adopters, nothing about smart or stupid :)

13. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

With software at least you get updates, so you'll end up with the same product no matter when you buy.

14. STSNorthstar macrumors regular

Yeah, because myself and many others were complete idiots for buying a computer when we needed it.

15. molala macrumors 6502a

You can't go wrong when you buy a computer when you need it. But a lot of people could wait a few months, weeks, even days.

I tend to go for the just discontinued model at a discount, rather than the latest -- especially if the latest is a Rev.A. Have gone through enough Mac laptops to know Rev.B is usually a lot better for cheaper.

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

buy it when you need it, but dont complain when something marginally better arrives.

17. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

a lot of times, i really do like to say
    "get it when you need it"

but unfortunately, the the mbp13 was FAR more upgraded compared to the mb classics.

unlike the mbp 15, the upgrades weren't so bad. i jumped the gun and got the 15 umbp first gen. still glad that i jumped the gun even with the updates.

the mb13 on the other hand.. i wouldve totally kicked myself if i bought it and found the new mbp13 to be way superior