Question Mark appeared on HD listings but HD boots ok

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by barnetda, Jul 4, 2009.

1. barnetda macrumors regular

My daughters MacBook has got a question mark greyed out next to the spotlight tab on her lists when she clicks on her HD icon.

Everything seems to work fine but i am concerned as i wonder if its a warning that thinga may about to go wrong.

If she clicks on her HD icon what ever box she then clicks on has a greyed out question mark on the right next to the spotlight area.

Any ideas?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you make a screen shot via Grab (Applications > Utilities) or CMD+SHIFT+4 and post it here?

And what do you mean by this: "the spotlight tab on her lists when she clicks on her HD icon"?
    What Spotlight tab? Do you mean in Finder or the menu bar or the spotlight window when you want to view all Spotlight results?

3. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

Heres the screen grab.

I mean the search tab on the right hand side when i click on her hd icon .

Attached Files:

4. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

You can see the question mark just to the left of the search box. Its greyed out.

Just wondered what you guys think it is.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It looks like there was some item on the toolbar that is no longer recognized. You should be able to right-click with the mouse pointer on the question mark and choose "remove object".

That should get rid of it. Perhaps it's the remnant of something that has since been uninstalled.

6. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

You are a star . That sorted it. Thank you both so much we were really worried about it.

Thanks again really appreciated.