question mark on start up disk icon in maveriks in sys prefs

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Sossity, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Sossity macrumors 65816

I recently bought a mac book air, and reinstalled the os, maveriks on it. But I notice there is a question mark over the start up disk icon in the system preferences. I am not sure what this means, as the mac seems to be running ok, I did a restart, etc & it seems ok. When I look at it in system prefs, it shows it highlighted in purple, and saying I have selected it as my start up disk.

Is this anything serious?

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Totally normal, but yes it's misleading...Both my rMBP and my iMac have had the ? On that icon from day one....You'd think it would change, but it's a static icon.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

that's normal, don't worry. :)

The question mark means : "which disk do you want to choose as start up disk ?"

Here is mine :

[​IMG]

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Just to confirm...Heres my rMBP...

Attached Files:

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks all, I looked at my mac mini & see it there as well. when I clicked on the get info for the disk in disk utility on my macbook air maveriks, it showed the solid state drive as diskos2, type partition.

So it seems normal, then, my mac seems to be functioning ok so far.

On another note, my macbook air has a soilid state drive, with built in hd graphics, are these types of graphics bad? as opposed to a dedicated video card? my macbook air seems faily snappy, it has 8 gb of ram. i went with it because it is so light weight, it is nice and esay to carry and hold in my hands.

6. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

The onboard gpu's ( HD 3000, HD 4000 and Iris Pro HD 5000) are pretty adequate for anything other than extreme gaming....If you don't play intense games on your Mac, then they should be fine for your needs.