Question Mark

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lschultz777, Aug 12, 2011.

1. lschultz777 macrumors member

2 months ago I had my hard drive and video card (another name for which I can't remember). Now when rebooting I get a second flash of a question mark. Should I be concerned about this?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

If you're talking about the blinking question mark after POST, it means it can't find anything to boot from, so YES, you should be worried about this. Your hard drive is probably dead or dying. Hopefully, you have a backup of your data.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

stick in your install dvd, boot off it, and see if your hdd shows up in disk utility

4. lschultz777 thread starter macrumors member

I can't reinstall my dvd as I'm on vacation. I called Apple and they said to bring it in. The nearest store is 1 hour away and no guarentee they will cover it as I'm "slightly" out of warrantee but they said they would work with me.

The flash question mark occurs when I turn on the computer and its flashes for about 1 second. I have everything saved on an external. My Macbook Pro is really for my kids and when on vacation. I use the IMAC at home. So nothing major on this laptop.

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

Oh, it only comes up for one second? Set your startup disk in System Preferences.

6. lschultz777 thread starter macrumors member

Detruis, I went to system preferences, to start up disk, clicked on the HD and clicked on restart. Restarting it made the question mark disappear. Does that mean everything is fine? The computer has been running fine (even with the second flash of the question mark).

7. lschultz777 thread starter macrumors member

I also did a disk verify thru disk utility and it says Mac HD appears to be ok. Do you think I'm ok now?

8. tekkietekkie macrumors member

sounds to me like it was just trying to boot from another disk first and since you changed it now its fine

9. lschultz777 thread starter macrumors member

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yes. The ? mark was it not going to your hdd as the first option

11. lschultz777 thread starter macrumors member

Still no question mark. So I think the start up disk fixed the issue.

12. Detrius macrumors 68000

Yes, it sounds like you're fine. Your initial wording of the issue threw me off.