Question marks in Safari and Mail

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by pbhudia78, May 15, 2018.

  1. pbhudia78 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2018
    #1
    Computer: iMac running Sierra, Universal Type Client 6

    Problem: Safari and Mail show question marks in place of text. Looks like:
    ⍰⍰⍰⍰ ⍰⍰⍰⍰ ⍰⍰ ⍰⍰⍰⍰⍰⍰⍰ ⍰⍰⍰⍰⍰ ⍰ ⍰⍰ ⍰⍰⍰⍰ ⍰⍰⍰⍰ ⍰⍰⍰⍰ ⍰⍰⍰⍰⍰⍰ ⍰⍰⍰⍰⍰⍰ ⍰⍰

    Attempted solutions:

    • Clear font cache in UTC: computer restarts, problem is gone…for a short time. Returns within minutes.
    • Deactivate various fonts in Font Book: problem is gone…for a short while. Returns again.
    • Run Onyx (https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/index.html which includes clearing the font cache. Problem is gone…returns again after a short time.

    There seems to be some process, program or action that is activating a font that is conflicting with something in WebKit (whatever that is…I’m getting this from having read other posts). But I am not sure as to how to locate that suspect action, identify what font is conflicting, reduce system fonts, disable Font Book, or other steps specifically related to Sierra.

    Any help would be appreciated. We have 4 or 5 other machines running Safari and UTC 6 without any trouble. I’m not sure why just this one machine is having so much trouble.
     
  2. jbarley macrumors 68040

    jbarley

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2006
    Location:
    Vancouver Island
    #2
    For starters, try downloading and running "EtreCheck", this is a trusted utility that will scan your system, offer suggestions and develop a report that you could post here for others to view and comment on.

    https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/48217/etrecheck
     
  3. pbhudia78 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2018
    #3
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2018 ---
    Thanks, but I found the resolutions for the issue. I had to install Font Finder add-on for Firefox & Google to see which Fonts were being used in the browser, which was Helvetica, Helvetica Nueve, San serif and Ariel. Starting off with Helvetica i disabled all the Helvetica fonts in the UTC and noticed the question marks disappearing slowly and text started to re-appear. i reactivated the Fonts again and did deactivated the Fonts one by one, and came to the conclusion that it was the Helvetica Nueve family in UTC that was causing the conflict.

    This was half day investigation, but thanks to Font Finder add-in in gave me the starting point as to which fonts to start of with, else it would have been needle in the haystack

    Thanks for your help, and i hope this post helps others in the same situation as me.
     

Share This Page