Question Marks on Dock Icons!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DeeGee48, Jan 13, 2008.

1. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

I'm getting "question marks" on some of my dock icons when I try to launch the associated program; one is 3rd party, the other two are Apple (iMovie HD 6 and Disk Utility). Apparently, the aliases aren't connected to the programs they represent. When I throw out ("Poof!") the old alias and put in a new one, the same thing happens: question mark and no launch. What is happening here and how can I rectify it? (I'm running Leopard after having done an Archive and Install).

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

This might seem like the answer to everything, but have you verified and repaired permissions, launching Disk Utility from the Utilities folder instead of the dock ?

And then a restart after that maybe ?

3. DeeGee48 thread starter macrumors regular

DeeGee48

Reply...

"This might seem like the answer to everything, but have you verified and repaired permissions, launching Disk Utility from the Utilities folder instead of the dock ?

And then a restart after that maybe ?"

Disk Utility does launch from the Utilities folder, yes. But I have to look into the permissions issue....any tips?

4. DeeGee48 thread starter macrumors regular

DeeGee48

Problem Solved! (Am I Missing Something?!?)

Well I just discovered this, and it takes care of the problem: If I make a new alias of each program and replace the 'question marked' one in the Dock with it, BUT ALSO LEAVE IT in the Applications Folder with the application, IT WORKS! Everything launches from the Dock just fine, no question marks! How did I miss this??? Is this the way it's supposed to work? None of the other apps have this 'dual-alias' set-up. What gives?

5. awolfeii macrumors newbie

Wow - my whole utilities folder is gone, except for Keychain Access!

spooky as anything - no Disk Utility, no Terminal, .... help!

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Please start a new thread, this was a resolved issue and yours is a different problem entirely.