Question: Miglia Tvmini HD on my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by accsuperstar, May 17, 2007.

1. accsuperstar macrumors newbie

I have been looking at a few tv cards for my mac pro.

Currently I have digital cable service from Time Warner cable. We have a TV downstairs with the HD cable box that will pick up the encrypted HD channels. In my roommates room he has an HDTV w/ QAM and is able to pickup standard cable channels as well as the normal HD channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc).

If i have the TVMini HD, will I be able to do the same if I plug into the wall? I know i will be able to get the QAM HD channels, but I wanted to make sure I can pickup the standard cable channels (non HD) as well.

Thanks in advance!

2. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

Nope. I think that this is the difference between the TVMini HD and HD+. The plus handles the analog cable stuff. The Mini HD "just" does clear QAM and ATSC (OTA digital which includes HD, etc.). This is one of the problems with all of the products out there. Each one seems to do slightly different stuff. Like the EyeTV hybrid will do analog cable and OTA HD, but not clear QAM. Thea ideal would be something like the TVMini HD+ with a cable card interface so that you can grab the encrypted channels.

cheers.