Question - Minimizing Game

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by klaze, Apr 25, 2010.

1. klaze macrumors member

Hi, I was playing Sims 3 yesterday and I decided to minimized the game so I can go on Safari to browse.

This is my first game playing on my MacBook(Got it 3 weeks ago) and I never expected it to be so slow. Even my 3 year old Dell laptop was never that laggy. It took about 5 minutes to get Safari to load my home page, and other stuff I wanted to do(not internet speed but laggyness). The stupid wheel kept showing for the whole time.

My question is: is it normal for a MacBook to be that super duper laggy?!

Thanks in advanced!

2. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

you might have to say what kind of macbook it is, i know you said you got it 3 weeks ago, but it could still be an older model. and im sure that will help people give you answer. im fairly new to macs but Ive been reading these forums like crazy and macs aren't the best gaming machines so that could be a reason.

3. klaze thread starter macrumors member

Mine is one of the newest ones I guess. 2.26GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM. It likes 10 times faster than my other laptops.

4. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

oh ok well then i dont know what to say, i just exchanged out my macbook for a macbook pro today and i haven't cracked it open. ill pop the sims 3 when i get home and see if this happens. but i have the newest 13inch macbook pro.

5. klaze thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks alot. Try playing it, then minmize to browse safari. Thanks!

6. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

sorry for the delay, the sims 3 is currently minimized right now and im on firefox and there is no slow down at all. it feels like it isn't even running to tell you the truth.

take a screen shot of yours

Attached Files:

7. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Hrmph, at least you guys can play Sims 3 :p. Sims 3 actually makes sure to mention that my macbook's graphics card as not compatible in the requirements. To me that's a first, usually you just see you need this or better. Not, this card will not work! I found it funny that they made sure to let me know it wouldn't run on mine.

Of course I have a three year old Macbook ;). But it honestly wasn't good at games when it was new. The SimCity that was just out at the time it could run small cities but once they got big it would lag big time (I was warned it couldn't do it well and that it wasn't all that great as a game machine). It runs Fallout fine (of course that game was old even when my computer was new).

8. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

yeah id be upset if my comp told me i couldn't do something lol. i don't even play the sims, i just installed it to see if i would have a problem.

9. tigress666 macrumors 68040

No no no.... Sims 3 actually named the graphics card in my computer as not compatible on the requirements list on the box (my computer didn't say it couldn't do it). I just find that amusing as usually from what I've seen requirements don't say what you can't use, only what minimum you have to have. Particularly since it only lists my graphics card by name as not compatible (apparently they felt that they needed to make sure people with my macbook knew it couldn't do it).

That's ok, I just realized I got my PC up and running again (was made to run Flight Simulator 2000). And then realized I don't have enough RAM to play Sims 3 on it (and not sure if the graphics card is compatible either as I'd have to look up if it meets requirements). Games are much ceaper on the PC (though honestly I'd like to have some games on my Mac).

10. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

ohh ok that make sense. yeah i pretty powerful desktop, that i put together i only play a handful of games. just recently downloaded that starcraft 2 beta and im trying that out. played it on my mbp and desktop.