Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demarrer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
So i just got my first apple computer/macbook pro and had a few quick questions. I know that laptops aren't the most customizable things in the world, but I would like to know if it is possible to "update" or "upgrade" a few things in the computer.

- Could I add more RAM in the future

- Is it possible to remove the installed disk drive, and than replace it with another one?

Thanks for the help.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
The first option is user-replaceable, Apple does not deem it as violating your warranty. However, Apple is known to steal your ram if it's third party if it gets sent into Apple Care for repair - so keep your old stuff.

The second one is doable, but it would violate your warranty.

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
in short yes and yes.. the latest revisions of the Macbook Pro line have become a bit tricky to upgrade- with the non-removable batteries n that.. But its still very possible.

PTP

ZizousamA

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
Macbook Pro 13".. got it yesterday

Is it the lower 13" or the higher? The lower can recognize up to 4gb and comes with 2, the higher model takes up to 8gb and comes with 4. I hope that you got the higher model.

Demarrer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Is it the lower 13" or the higher? The lower can recognize up to 4gb and comes with 2, the higher model takes up to 8gb and comes with 4. I hope that you got the higher model.

i did, but whats wrong with the lower model?

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Both can take 8 GB of RAM, it says so on Apple's website. The only real difference between to two is an unnoticeably faster processor, more RAM, and a larger hard drive, the latter two being easily and inexpensively upgradeable. Upgrading yourself won't void the warranty on the RAM or hard drive, the optical drive I don't believe is user replaceable according to Apple, so that would void the warranty (but you can just put the stock one back in if you have a problem and they'll never know). Also, non-Apple RAM is generally removed, put in a baggie, and shipped back to the owner with the computer if left in.

Demarrer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Both can take 8 GB of RAM, it says so on Apple's website. Upgrading yourself won't void the warranty on the RAM or hard drive, the optical drive I don't believe is user replaceable according to Apple, so that would void the warranty (but you can just put the stock one back in if you have a problem and they'll never know). Also, non-Apple RAM is generally removed, put in a baggie, and shipped back to the owner with the computer if left in.

Where could I buy more "Apple" RAM... The Apple Store online?

ZizousamA

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
Both can take 8 GB of RAM, it says so on Apple's website. The only real difference between to two is an unnoticeably faster processor, more RAM, and a larger hard drive, the latter two being easily and inexpensively upgradeable. Upgrading yourself won't void the warranty on the RAM or hard drive, the optical drive I don't believe is user replaceable according to Apple, so that would void the warranty (but you can just put the stock one back in if you have a problem and they'll never know). Also, non-Apple RAM is generally removed, put in a baggie, and shipped back to the owner with the computer if left in.

You are right. I could almost swear that the 8gb option for the lower model wasn't available a while ago!

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
i think the OP will need to clarify, i refer a 'disk drive' as HDD... (as in Hard Disk Drive).

Yeah, I'm not sure why I interrupted the OP as referring to the optical drive, clearly the hard drive is user-replaceable. Although the hybrid (replacing the optical drive with a hard drive) not so much...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yeah, I'm not sure why I interrupted the OP as referring to the optical drive, clearly the hard drive is user-replaceable. Although the hybrid (replacing the optical drive with a hard drive) not so much...

everyone does it it would still be best if he clarifies though..

im waiting for my optical bay add-on to arrive to i can put another HDD in there! (woohoo).

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
The User Guide should tell you exactly how to do both of those things. The 15" User Guide certainly does, and I just finished upgrading my HDD to a 500-GB, 7200-RPM Seagate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.