Question... New to Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Demarrer, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Demarrer macrumors member

So i just got my first apple computer/macbook pro and had a few quick questions. I know that laptops aren't the most customizable things in the world, but I would like to know if it is possible to "update" or "upgrade" a few things in the computer.

- Could I add more RAM in the future

- Is it possible to remove the installed disk drive, and than replace it with another one?

Thanks for the help.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The first option is user-replaceable, Apple does not deem it as violating your warranty. However, Apple is known to steal your ram if it's third party if it gets sent into Apple Care for repair - so keep your old stuff.

The second one is doable, but it would violate your warranty.

3. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Yes, unless you already have the maximum amount installed. Which model of the MacBook Pro are you using?

4. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

in short yes and yes.. the latest revisions of the Macbook Pro line have become a bit tricky to upgrade- with the non-removable batteries n that.. But its still very possible.

PTP

5. Demarrer thread starter macrumors member

Macbook Pro 13".. got it yesterday

6. ZizousamA macrumors member

Is it the lower 13" or the higher? The lower can recognize up to 4gb and comes with 2, the higher model takes up to 8gb and comes with 4. I hope that you got the higher model.

7. Demarrer thread starter macrumors member

i did, but whats wrong with the lower model?

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Both can take 8 GB of RAM, it says so on Apple's website. The only real difference between to two is an unnoticeably faster processor, more RAM, and a larger hard drive, the latter two being easily and inexpensively upgradeable. Upgrading yourself won't void the warranty on the RAM or hard drive, the optical drive I don't believe is user replaceable according to Apple, so that would void the warranty (but you can just put the stock one back in if you have a problem and they'll never know). Also, non-Apple RAM is generally removed, put in a baggie, and shipped back to the owner with the computer if left in.

9. Demarrer thread starter macrumors member

Where could I buy more "Apple" RAM... The Apple Store online?

10. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I like to get my RAM from Other World computing. Here's the right page for your model. Apple's RAM tends to be very, very overpriced.

11. ZizousamA macrumors member

You are right. I could almost swear that the 8gb option for the lower model wasn't available a while ago!

12. ZizousamA macrumors member

Yes Apple charges a heck of a lot for RAM. You are better off buying somewhere else such as newegg.com under the apple section or Apple's certified resellers and online stores found on here http://wheretobuy.apple.com/Catalog.html and install it yourself.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

HAHA! are you sure?? its a unibody :p its like two screws to get it out...

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I talked to the Genius Bar, replacing the Superdrive is not a user-upgrade.

15. ZizousamA macrumors member

I was under the impression that it only supports up to 4gb of RAM. Now that I know it supports 8, it is perfectly and the only difference is its slower cpu.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think the OP will need to clarify, i refer a 'disk drive' as HDD... (as in Hard Disk Drive).

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it wasnt. it was only introduced in the last revision.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yeah, I'm not sure why I interrupted the OP as referring to the optical drive, clearly the hard drive is user-replaceable. Although the hybrid (replacing the optical drive with a hard drive) not so much...

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

everyone does it it would still be best if he clarifies though..

im waiting for my optical bay add-on to arrive to i can put another HDD in there! (woohoo).

20. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

The User Guide should tell you exactly how to do both of those things. The 15" User Guide certainly does, and I just finished upgrading my HDD to a 500-GB, 7200-RPM Seagate.