Question: Non-repairable Disk Permission

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beckfizzle, Oct 29, 2007.

1. beckfizzle macrumors member

Hey Guys/Gals,

Installed Leopard recently and everything is working great. However when running disk permissions I get the following error:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

What is this and how do I fix it? I'm a computer newb.

2. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

ARD is the Apple Remote Desktop component. Try booting from the Leopard DVD and then running Repair Permissions in Disk Utility from the Finder menu at the installation screen.

3. beckfizzle thread starter macrumors member

This is done by holding and pressing "C" when turning on the computer, correct?

4. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Yup. Or by holding down Option during boot. A selection menu will appear showing bootable devices attached to your computer. :cool:

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, that's correct. You can also do it by inserting the disc into the DVD drive, going to System Preferences -> Startup Disk, and selecting it from inside that window. You can then press the restart button that's also inside the Sys Prefs window.

Please note, you should generally not do this (repair permissions from the startup DVD), as the receipts on the startup disc do not generally match the installed software, because of updates. Right now, though, you're probably okay, since there haven't been many updates to Leopard yet.

If this doesn't work, and you don't appreciate anything actually failing to work properly in your installation, I'd suggest ignoring it. From time to time these kinds of idiosyncratic errors happen because of the way packages and permissions are setup in OS X. For instance, for many past versions of OS X, certain files would have reset permissions on every repair permissions, even though nothing was wrong. Usually you can just ignore this.