Question on 2.0 Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jdcrow711, Jul 18, 2008.

1. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

My brother has 2.0 downloaded on a PC for his Touch, but my Mom has her Touch linked to the iMac. Can she use his 2.0 upgrade?

If she does, will she lose all the music on hers and have to set it to Windows, do the upgrade, then set it back to Mac and reload music?

Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would suspect that the answer to your first question is no, and thus your second question doesn't matter... but if I'm wrong about the first question, then I strongly suspect that you are at least partially right. The iPod touch doesn't have a disk mode, so its formatting (Mac OS vs. Windows) doesn't really matter as far as iTunes is concerned. That said, you would almost certainly need to resync the iPod touch after the upgrade.

3. Full-Throttle macrumors member

Yes, you can use the upgrade on your moms iPod. Do you have Windows XP or Vista? I need to know so I can tell you how to get the update from your PC to your iMac.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I will tell you right now that upgrading to 2.0 will delete all the music on the iPod anyway; unlike previous versions of the firmware it backs up only the settings (Safari history, contacts, etc) and then erases everything else on the iPod. Even if your Mom updated on the iMac, she'd still have to reload all of the music, unfortunately.

5. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

The PC has XP on it. And for someone above about reusing the 2.0, an article I read said that the 2.0 upgrade can be synced to more than one Touch (similar to purchasing an App and syncing to more than one) I just didnt know if it mattered the platform it was downloaded on.

Thanks!

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I just put the upgrade file onto a USB thumb drive, then used it to upgrade an 8gb Touch on a PC, and a 16gb Touch on an iMac. Worked fine. Yes, you'll need to re-sync media to it/them.

7. Full-Throttle macrumors member

You will need a USB flash drive or some type of external storage device for this.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Click "Start"

2. Click "My Computer"

3. At the top of the "My Computer" window, click "Tools", then "Folder Options".

4. While in the "Folder Options" window, click the "View" tab, scroll down to where it says "Show hidden files and folders", and click the bubble/check box for that item. Click "Ok" at the bottom to save the change and close the "Folder Options" window.

5. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\"The user name that downloaded the iPod Touch upgrade"\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

6. In that folder there should be a file called "iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw". Copy that file to your USB drive.

7. Plug the USB drive and iPod Touch into your iMac and start iTunes.

8. Click on the iPod Touch icon in iTunes.

9. In the iPod info window, while holding down the "Alt/Option" key and click "Restore". A navigation window will pop up. Navigate the the file "iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw" on the USB drive, click it and chose "Ok". The iPod should begin upgrading.

*Very Important*

Do not unplug the iPod for any reason (well, maybe if it catches on fire ;)). It can take a long time to upgrade (over 10 minutes), and may even look like it is frozen, but do not unplug the iPod. When it is finished, resync the iPod and you should be good to go. Save a copy of the 2.0 Upgrade file somewhere. You can use it on both PC's and Macs, so it's a good idea to keep a backup in case your hard drive were to crash or you got a new computer.

Let me know if you have any questions and how it works out.

8. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

so technically.... i could sell the update for 5 bucks apiece or give it away to others??

9. Full-Throttle macrumors member

I don't know if the upgrade contains any embedded personally identifiable information, but I would not try selling it unless you want some lawyers from Apple legal hunting you down. You could "technically" let friends connect their iPods to your PC or Mac and let them upgrade their iPod, but Apple and many people on this site would not like it.

Were you able to upgrade the iPod Touch on the iMac using my instructions?

10. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont live at home -- so it isnt me doing it. My brother said it did not work the first time around but he is trying again right now.

11. Full-Throttle macrumors member

Oh, one more important thing, the iMac must be running the latest version of iTunes (7.7). It will fail on older versions, so make sure you/brother have the latest.

12. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

yes both comps already had 7.7 on them. he told me update worked 2nd time around. thanks so much for the help. i was pissed enough to buy 2.0 after being told the touch had it at the store.

this is also the same store that told my mothers friend not to buy the base macbook because the ram could not be upgraded... bright employees!!!